TR4 Rear Hub Puller

If you want to strip the IRS hub from a TR4A, any 'normal' bolt-on hub puller is very unlikely to do the job.

I've watched how TD Fitchetts recondition these hubs and the strip down needs an 80 ton press, with a bespoke support cradle and mandrel. Sorry not to offer more hope but this is a job for the professionals. Either buy an exchange recon hub assembly, or one of the uprated hubs that are available - there's been a bit of discussion over the merits of recon vs uprated hubs on the forum.

Nigel

Hi Brett,

welcome to the forum.

There is a special Churchill tool that will do the job nicely but they appear to be quite rare. Any garage that has one will probably not lend it.

I would not use a mighty press as that can bend the flange and then you are in queer street.

Speak to your local group or find a TRiumph garage with a proper tool. Down in London Enginuity in Acton do this for a few quid.

However, what do you intend to do when you you have it apart.

If you are only going to replace bearings and seals then think twice - the stub axle inside is 50 years old and there appears to be

more and more breaking AND then wheel comes off

I believe it isn;t mileage related but time.

You can buy 'NEW' hubs from most of the usual suppliers. Moss make their own with all new parts. Other suppliers use the German company Bastuk, also using new parts - much the same quality.

Roger

Thanks for the advice - I'll go for the new hub option in light of the issues!!!!

Wise choice, these are hubs (admittedly Stag but no difference from TR except they've led a life of ease (mostly) which had been reconditioned by an industry retailer (probable large heavy press application to split it asunder and replace the bearing) and sold as one of a pair, it lasted 12 months

post-6602-0-84153800-1502904507_thumb.jpg

and after replacing this damaged hub with another the other original reconditioned hub let go at 15 months

post-6602-0-21441600-1502905143.jpg

It made the decision to go to new hubs with CV shafts (in his case, other driveshafts are available and importantly non critical to their use - unlike hubs) an easy one.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey