car body moved on chassis I think

hi my friends,

I noted the other day that drivers side rear wheel was sticking out more than the near side the car drives fine.

I stript it down to see if there were elongated holes, or something was broken, nothing,

scratched my head a couple of times, (got a splinter) I now believe the body has moved, has this happened to any one else

cheers pink ,

Well it did have a knock on the bumper, a couple of months ago a lotus reversed into the bumper

total wiped out the fibreglass bumper, didn't scratch the triumph, however did it move the body,

the drivers side wheel sticks out 3/4 of an inch further than the near side

pink

Pink,

I can tell you that your rear wheel,has been sticking out like that since the last time I saw your motor at IWE, so that's three years.

About the time you fitted the larger wheels which have made the error appear even bigger.

Cheers

Guy

Ps Ask Stuart....Neil, or half of the people who attended the last proper forum meet at IWE.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Nice to see you back on the forum guy,

I have noted your observations of past times,

I now must find the error and put it right

pink

Pink,

Do you recall Carl doing the four wheel alignment on your Tr. I think that's when it appeared

I think you should check the chassis for straightness, drop a few string lines onto the garage floor, easy for you as you have a pit.

So tape some cardboard to floor and plumb down the main rails, trailing arms etc.

Then go from there

As the car is now the wheels are in alignment .

Only trying to be helpful mi old fruit.And not back on the forum.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy, I hope you are doing well.

Pink, it would take a really hard hit to move the body on the frame even if all of the bolts were less than tight. If it was hit that hard the body would likely crumple at the location it was hit before it would move on the frame. The car may have been like that from birth and the bigger tires just exaggerate it.

Stan

My tr6 has one of the rear wheels sticking out further on one side,in fact it leans outwards,I'm just having it sorted at the moment at kd triumph in Coventry ,I'm having all the rear end re- bushed with super flex bushes,looking at the old bushes in the trailing arms they didn't seem to be sitting square,so hopefully they should be ok when all re- fitted.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old post. I've just looked at TR that has this very issue, is it easy to fix or is one of those the more you dig the more you find?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Edited by Matt
13 hours ago, Matt said:

Sorry to dig up an old post. I've just looked at TR that has this very issue, is it easy to fix or is one of those the more you dig the more you find?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

It can happen for a number of reasons so you do need to have a real good look underneath and take a tape measure with you, it will become apparent what the problem is if you measure to different points side to side.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the taking the time to reply. I didn't have a tape measure to hand but you could feel the difference in the gap between the training arms and the body, I should have looked deeper to see if it was just the arms or the chassis to body. I've not been under a TR for a while and just thinking about it I would be surprised if you could move the trailing arms 1/4 inch left or right, is that possible or would it be the chassis to body fit? 

Thanks again,

Matt 

It could be either the body is over a bit, badly done floor/sill repairs or and its an odd one the trailing arm sections in the chassis have been replaced, many years ago the only repair sections for that area didnt have the holes drilled for the mountings so it was possible to fit the trailing arms a bit out from where they should be, there`s enough range of movement on the sliding joints to accommodate this. This is why I said about a tape measure being useful to check where the problem comes from.

Stuart.

Stuart,

As always thanks for your input, I’m planning on heading back to get a proper look at the weekend I’ll let you know what I find.

Matt

14 hours ago, ntc said:

Matt

Look at the rear of the car how much of the chassis can you see below the rear apron and are they the same? Also look at the camber angle on both wheels they should also be the same 

Like this

Stuart.

Marko 023.jpg

Marko 092.jpg

Looked at the car again over the weekend, up in the air with a tape measure in hand. Chassis was 15mm nearer the offside sill but was very solid and no real sign of hogging or rust. The more disturbing part was the fact the top of the tyre could be seen on the nearside and the nearside trailing arm was 10mm closer to the sill than the offside. So tyre can be seen on the nearside but chassis is already 15mm closer to the offside. I’m guessing the chassis had been repaired at some point, errors made on where holes should be for the trailing arms and when the body was put back on they tried to counteract this by putting it on slightly askew and closer to the nearside.

Thanks for the guidance.

Matt

13 hours ago, Matt said:

Looked at the car again over the weekend, up in the air with a tape measure in hand. Chassis was 15mm nearer the offside sill but was very solid and no real sign of hogging or rust. The more disturbing part was the fact the top of the tyre could be seen on the nearside and the nearside trailing arm was 10mm closer to the sill than the offside. So tyre can be seen on the nearside but chassis is already 15mm closer to the offside. I’m guessing the chassis had been repaired at some point, errors made on where holes should be for the trailing arms and when the body was put back on they tried to counteract this by putting it on slightly askew and closer to the nearside.

Thanks for the guidance.

Matt

Seems like what I said earlier about holes in the trailing arm being put in in the wrong place.

Stuart.

• 2 months later...

I have seen various post in reference to rear wheel alignment and just experienced one of the many problems with alignment.

Re-commissioning car, after being off road since 1989!, rebushed rear end but noted passenger side wheel turned inwards, no amount of shims or movement could align wheel correctly and maintain 88" length wheelbase , and rear wheel width 50.2" found to be over 1 1/2" to wide.

After much head scratching I concluded problem was with drive shaft length luckily I had a spare shaft and on removing fitted shaft and checked against spare found fitted shaft was almost 2" longer, changed shaft and now have perfect dimensions on wheelbases.

Having searched the forum an web the conclusion I have arrived at is that sometime in cars distant past somebody had fitted a drive shaft from a Triumph 2000!

I advise above as a note to other members who may have similar problem.