I find that I have to look from each side and guess when it's lined up.

Would a mirror help?

The car is running nice, since I tuned the carbs. So, all I'm attempting to do is to see how the gun works. Later, if I need to adjust the timing, I think the old-fashioned way is simpler and more precise: the little lamp and the toing and froing of the distributor. That'll be another adventure putting the theory into practice.

Edited by qim

Camilo,

Even though my engine doesn't have a mechanical fan,I am very mindful of the fan belt alternator and water pump spinning round and keep well away from it. To be of any use a mirror would have to be inserted into the fan belt area below the water pump and above the main crankshaft pulley - No thanks!

Rgds Ian

I don't understand it!!!

I tried the gun again. This time I can see the white mark (some mechanic must have put it there in the past) and under the strobe light it is a little way to the left (looking at car from the front) which could be the magic 4º, but it could also be a lot larger (20º?) as I have no way of measuring it...

What I don't understand is the fact that the read-out on the gun does not move. It starts at 10.0 and stays at 10.0. If I reset it to 0 it stays at 0

So, I have no idea what to make out of it.

Edited by qim

The readout will only change when you press the buttons Camilo, and the gun itself is the tool for measuring the angle.

You could use the gun in two ways - First you can use the buttons to preset the advance that you want, and then rotate the distributor until the mark and pointer line up when illuminated by the gun.

The other way is to use the buttons while watching the mark. As you press the buttons one way or the other the mark should appear to move. When it is in line with the pointer, the numerical reading on the strobe is the advance in degrees that is set.

No good! I think the gun is faulty. Nothing happens. It starts at 10.00 and remains at 10.0; if I reset it to 0 it stays at 0, this time I set it to 4.0 and it just stayed there. In all cases the relation between the pointer and the timing mark remained the same.

The rpm button, that, works.

I'm going to contact the AccuSpark people.

Anyway: is the current position of the timing mark about the right spot - 1to 2 cm to the left of the pointer, looking from the front of the car, i.e. towards the right side of the car?

Camilo

Edited by qim

The numbers are supposed to just stay there once set. They do not alter by themselves - only when you operate the +/-.

The readout represents the delay of the light flash following the firing of no 1 cylinder, so there should be a change in the visible position of the mark if you set different readout numbers. Since the rpm readout is working, the pickup is obviously OK, but it might be worth double-checking that you have the pickup with the arrow pointing towards the plug as the instruction say.

Hi

Success, but...

I managed to sort it out but ended up with a figure of 24º! Is that possible, bearing in mind that the car is running well, albeit with a consumption a bit below what it should be. I had a mostly motorway drive of 200 Km driving around 100 to 140 kph (touched 150 and took the foot off as the car wanted to go faster...) and got just under 11l/100Km = 26mpg

If this timing is the culprit for the consumption what is the next step? Set the gun to say 4º and then turn the distributor around until the mark lines up with the pointer?...

Edited by qim

That does sound excessive and would account for the pinking you mentioned earlier in post 91. When you did the measurement was the engine at idle (say 800 rpm) and did you disconnect the vacuum-advance pipe?

That does sound excessive and would account for the pinking you mentioned earlier in post 91. When you did the measurement was the engine at idle (say 800 rpm) and did you disconnect the vacuum-advance pipe?

Hi

The pinking is not too bad and only when I go up hills. The engine was idling at around 650 according to the gun. No, I did not disconnect the vacuum-advance.

I mentioned earlier that the timing mark at 4º to 10º was on the right (of the car) from the pointer. Should it not be to the left?

If I change the timing to around 4º is that going to mess up my carb tuning that I am so proud of?...

And would this situation, if true, account for poor consumption?

Thanks

Camilo

Back to the drawing board...

I will increase the tickover to 800 rpm and disconnect the vacuum pipe, which I assume is to take it out of the circled end in the attached image. Right?

post-14128-0-98392200-1503666880_thumb.jpg

Edited by qim

Yes that is right Camilo. You won't find much difference by increasing the engine speed though. It just has to be low enough for the advance weights not to have moved, so 650 should be fine. You may find that disconnecting the pipe will alter the engine speed a bit.

Hi Camilo ~

Don't forget to block off the vacuum pipe at the rubber connection to the distributor otherwise you'll draw in air.

Tom.

Hi Tom

I take it that you mean block the pipe that I take out of the metal part. Now, how do I do that?... I have to put the thinking cap on, and it's been such a long time since I used it...

Edited by qim

Hi Camilo ~

Yes that's right ~ insert a small round solid bar into the rubber tube and that will seal it off.

TOm.

Golf tees are the standard tool for blocking rubber vacuum hoses.

But where is there a rubber vacuum hose on a sidescreen TRs vacuum advance? Isn't everything a metal line?

And why does it need to be blocked off anyway? Isn't the main point to prevent manifold vacuum from advancing the distributor? There's no vacuum in the advance mechanism due to its being open to atmosphere.

I'd say simply disconnect the metal union at the advance and go from there. Keep it simple.

The numbers are supposed to just stay there once set. They do not alter by themselves - only when you operate the +/-.

The readout represents the delay of the light flash following the firing of no 1 cylinder, so there should be a change in the visible position of the mark if you set different readout numbers. Since the rpm readout is working, the pickup is obviously OK, but it might be worth double-checking that you have the pickup with the arrow pointing towards the plug as the instruction say.

Hi Rob

I haven't had a chance to get back to the car but I am wondering if...

When I connect the gun it comes up automatically on 10.0. On my last try I left it there and went down to 4º before realizing that I had to go the other way. I finally arrived at 24º; but if you deduct the intial 10.0 the resilt is 14º, I think, which may be about right.

What do you think?

Should I set the gun to 0.0 before I try again?

Edited by qim

I think you need to do it again Camilo with the vacuum disconnected. You will probably find the reading is considerably different from before. Your reading of +24 was most likely because the vacuum advance was still operating and providing the extra advance, not anything to do with the gun setting.

I don't know why the readout defaults to 10 initially but it could be because that is a sort of average advance setting which is in the right 'ball park' as a starting point. Remember the gun is just a measuring tool - it really doesn't matter where you start with the readout, its the final number you arrive at that counts, when the marks are lined up.