Hi Camilo ~

You need to find the TDC mark on your crankshaft pulley. (This is normally a 'slot' indented on the pulley).

Mark it with white paint then when you shine your timing light on it with the engine running then it will show up, then you can adjust your timing.

Hope this helps ~

Tom.

You need to find the TDC mark on your crankshaft pulley. (This is normally a 'slot' indented on the pulley).

I've seen it with the car dismantled, but can't see it now... Is it possible to see it in a 3A without taking things off?

Hi Camilo ~

Yes it is. I did it on my 3A but I've got an electric cooling fan fitted to the front of the radiator.

If you've got the original cooling fan on then it's a little difficult but not impossible.

Better still ~ bring your TR over to Bangor and I'll gladly sort it out for you!! :D

Tom.

Camilo, Be very careful working around the fan with the engine running. No long sleeves, no tie, they might get caught in the fan.

Best not to work alone just in case....

Peter

Peter ~

Do we really need to point out these obvious safety precautions to people?

How the hell did I and others possibly survive working on our cars for all these years??

Tom.

Tom,

Its the ones that did not survive intact we should be concerned with. Camilo is new to working on engines, and plenty others reading the forum too. It might not be obvious to them.

I once had fan blades detach from the hub while revving the engine stationary. One cut halfway through a tubular steel bonnet frame, the other emedded itself in the top of the radiator.. The fan is more a hazard than it looks.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Peter ~

Do we really need to point out these obvious safety precautions to people?

How the hell did I and others possibly survive working on our cars for all these years??

Tom.

Safety is not measured by the number of accidents, Tom -- it's measured by exposure to risk.

You know that from your time in the fire service, I'm sure. Camilo is the first one to discuss his inexperience (or long forgotten experience) with the mechanical issues around our cars. Peter's note about high-energy rotating equipment didn't seem out of place.

Hi Don

Thank you for the advice. At my age I often forget the obvious!

And Tom, I do take up your offer. I am busy looking at a map to see the easiest way to get to Bangor. I take it that a few drinks are included...

Now, back to the timing mark: thanks for the photo, but seeing that my car does not have wooden planks underneath like yours... I seem to have things on top that block the view. Anyway, let me have another good look to see if the mark is visible from any other angle.

Camilo

Marcel

Let me have another look.

Thanks

The drilled hole in the back flange of the pulley must be there, Camilo. How on earth would you be able to set timing without it? Get a bright flashlight and you'll easily see it.

Camilo,

As Peter points out be very careful around the fan area especially using a strobe light.

If you are not accustomed to Strobes they can effectively feeze the motion of moving parts so it is quite easy to stray into danger areas if you are not aware.

I have witnessed some nasty accidents using strobe lights where the user became blasé and completely unaware. Not on TRs but the same principles apply.

Thank you, Paul

I'm back in one piece! I found the pointer and there is a white mark, although I cannot see if it is in the exact place of the hole.

Anyway, now, I need to go back with the gun and assuming that I have to use the angle choice (see image above #102) do I zero it and then point it at the timing mark from a distance?

Then, what? I take down the reading, which shows me the number of degrees past the TDC?

Edited by qim

Camilo,

As Peter points out be very careful around the fan area especially using a strobe light.

If you are not accustomed to Strobes they can effectively feeze the motion of moving parts so it is quite easy to stray into danger areas if you are not aware.

I have witnessed some nasty accidents using strobe lights where the user became blasé and completely unaware. Not on TRs but the same principles apply.

when I was younger I saw quite a lot of nasty dancing to strobe lights in discos as well!!!! :P

Well according to the user manual you illuminate the pulley with the strobe and use the +/- buttons to align the timing mark with the pointer and then read the advance angle from the display.

according to the user manual

Hi Rob

I don't have a User Manual; just a simple leaflet that came with the gun and does not explain too much...

I've been wondering what the rpm button is for and came to the conclusion that I am supposed to adjust the tickover to a certain rpm, but which?

Or do I set the rpm in the gun to the actual tickover of the car, before I change to the angle button? Makes more sense..

Edited by qim