Hi

Hard at it!

I sprayed the cracked dome with Strating Fluid and nothing that I could detect happened. Maybe that means that it is OK

I dismantled the carbs, cleaned them and put them back together. Success? When I lift the pins without the damper in place, the pistons fall with that nice mettalic sound; but with the dampers fully tightened, I am not sure they fall identically. Can't remember if you test with or without the dampers.

I started the car without the filters and found the first problem: the one you all have been telling me about! The forward piston lifts before the rear one. So, now I am going down to have a go at loosening the carbs, one from the other, but before I mess it all uo, and despite having been told a million times what to do, could you be so kind as to tell me from the photo below, what is the minimum I have to do? Can I undo just ONE screw to set up the rear carb? The red or the green, or both? And can I do it just on one side? Which? The front first to lift piston, or the rear?

EDIT

Rereading the thread, the answer is this one:

The shaft nearest the manifold has two clamps fitted. Undo one lock nut which will disconnect the carbs.

Adjust each butterfly until you get an even reading then re-tighten the clamp.

But... how do I adjust the butterfly? With the screw that controls tickover?

Of course, if there is a leak in the cracked dome, maybe that is the reason why it starts lifting first...

The other problem I have (BIG problem) is that I find it nearly impossible to get the air-filter retaing nuts (especially the one nearest the firewall) out as my normal spanner is too big and thick. How do you folks manage it?

post-14128-0-16547800-1502805738_thumb.jpg

Edited by qim

The Red Shaft Nut is the Choke,leave it alone.

The Green is the one to Slacken and just one side will do.

When fitting the 3 Screws to the Piston Domes do not tighten them at the same time,you need to tighten them evenly so it's tighten them a little at a time until all 3 are locked up tight.

Edited by TR NIALL

The Red Shaft Nut is the Choke,leave it alone.

The Green is the one to Slacken.

When fitting the 3 Screws to the Piston Domes do not tighten them at the same time,you need to tighten them evenly so it's tighten them a little at a time until all 3 are locked up tight.

Thanks

I just posted before you my last doubt: I slacken the nut and then turn the tickover screw until both pistons lift together. Is that it? Or do I have to rotate something like the carb itself?

And in view of this long saga, should I go for the forward piston that hisses first, or the retarded one?

Edited by qim

Has the front piston dome rotate 180 degrees? so it is in line with the rear one.

Marcel

Hi Marcel

Don't quite follow. If you mean that I rotated the pistons 180º the answer is no. They both face with the groove forward. i don't think it is possible to fit piston or dome in any other position.

can you clarify yuour post, please?

Thanks

I just posted before you my last doubt: I slacken the nut and then turn the tickover screw until both pistons lift together. Is that it? Or do I have to rotate something like the carb itself?

And in view of this long saga, should I go for the forward piston that hisses first, or the retarded one?

You have purchased a carb balancer - this is what it is meant for - place it in each inlet in turn, & adjust the idle speed screw (s) till it reads the same on both sides. Then tighten up the clamp, & look at the pistons as you "rev the engine - they should both go up & down together (dampers out for now)

Bob.

Camilo,

only the dome have to rotate 180 degrees, so that it is in the same position like the rear one.

Marcel

( i have H6 and the domes facing always the same side, there is a channel on top of the dome and that must facing outside)

Edited by Quicksilver

Thank you Tom (and All)

You nearly did not have to, because I have just crawled back into the flat needing an oxygen bottle. Someone here forgot to tell me not to attempt this job in a nearly closed garage....

Rught, for those who doubted my abilities, the job is done (well, nearly). After much fume inhalation and many failures with the rear carb: undoing the nut, turning the screw, doing the nut, lrevving up to see if the pistons behaved in unison (and DID NOT); I decided to have a go at the other front carb and EUREKA I managed to get both carbs to lift the pistons roughly at the same time. Then, I balanced the carbs, and used an old spoon to lift the pistons a little to see if I could decide on the mixture. The result is that I felt that the rear carb was much too rich and kept screwing the mixture screw up. Now the car will probably start producing a positive consumption or will not run at all!

Once I recover (either oxygen or another beer) I will go down for the impossible job of putting the rear air-filter back in position: noone answered my cry for help regarding this as I find an imnpossibility to tighten the rear screw without losing half the flesh in my hands, or my patience and temper!

Camilo

Edited by qim

Yes, Dalwhinnie was my drink, but did not do my sugar levels a lot of good. So, planning on living to 120 I have not tasted a drop of anything other than wine over meals for number of years. Not even beer, but after a nice holiday in Holland with my daughter, I did fall for the local stuff and now as I can't get it here draft, I have been having some Coronas with lime (as now!).

What about the secret to get my air-filters back in place?

Edited by qim

I would not bother putting the air filters back on until you confident that the carbs are set up to your satisfaction, try a road test first.

By the way, you don't need to use a spoon to lift the pistons, there is a small spring loaded pin under the carb body, press this upwards, & it pushes the piston up, this can be done even with air filters on. The pistons should only be raised the smallest amount to check the mixture.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hi Bob

Yes, I know about the pin and tried it but I hear about the lifting of the pin with a screwdriver and the nearest to that in my garage was an old spoon!

As for going waiting til I go out for a drive, no way! I cannot go through this exercise again. I nearly died! If I have to do it again I will send some air tickets to Tom and take him up on his offer!

Meanwhile if I screwedup the mixture (a strong possibility) I can always reach the mixture nut, or use my Colortune for the first time

I have just taken the car for a short drive, without filters, and guess what? It runs fantastic, a lot, lot better than before. So, I will accept congratulations in 10 languages!

Now, being serious: many thanks to all of you that put up with me for weeks, giving a lot of advice.

The local garage is only about 3 miles away and I think I am going to leave the air filters off and get them to put them back. tomorrow morning.

One other thing: in my old air filters, I used to take the mesh wire out and clean it. But these I have now are sealed. How do you clean them?

Thanks, Obrigado, Merci, Danke, Gracias, Dank je, xe xe (that's supposed to be Mandarin...)

Edited by qim

If my memory isn't wrong, it's the easiest thing on earth to put the AC air filters on my car's SU H6 carburettors. A simple 7/16" combination wrench, as I recall. Plenty of room to tighten the bolts, although it does take a little agility.

I don't get your problem, Camilo. What wrench are you trying to use? Do your non-standard filters attach differently somehow?