TR6 Oil Pump YouTube Video

I'll no doubt get some criticism for this but hey take the rough with the smooth. Over the weekend I changed the oil pump on my friends TR6, and usually I stay behind the camera filming events cars, planes etc but for a change I went infront of it while my mate filmed me changing his oil pump. I do this for a living on commercial vehicles but if this video proves to be a popular video I'll make a few more

Hope everyone enjoys it, try not to be too critical on me it was unscripted

Cheers

Steve

Cheers guys,

No doubt in filming something your never going to please everyone, or get it spot on all the time. In all honestly there is no 100% right or wrong way of doing anything in life. I'm just happy with the positive feedback your all giving me. I'll make another video about something at some point and post it on hear

Cheers

Steve

Nice one Steve - keep them coming.

My rocker shaft has that little screw missing (Moss part number 104859, screw, shaft to drilled pedestal). Is Steve right when he says that this will affect the oil pressure (on the OP gauge)? I will be placing an order for one soon so should I lock tight in place to stop it coming loose in future?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

The screw is there to stop the shaft from moving however it is drill all the way throu into the centre of the rocker shaft. On the other side of where it is dilled oil gets squirted up there and along the rockers I can show you this in photos of my spare one if you like. I have heared of a horror story by TRGB of a TR6 that was missing this screw and suffer an oil pressure loss due to this screw being missing. But logically you think about it, if the screw is missing the oil will go in the quickest direction it can escape. So if the screw is missing it will leave out that hole and you will reduce the oil pressure along the rest of the rockers.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steved69tr6

I may be wrong but a missing screw shouldn't reduce the overall oil pressure as it is a metered supply from the cam shaft. But it will effect supply to the rockers for the reason mentioned.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Steve

if the cam shaft rear bearing is like the 4A cam then oil is only allowed to the rocker in pulses.

The cam bearing has a flat machined in it and when the flat lines up with the oil gallery does oil pass up into the rocker.

So if the little location screw is missing you will not damage the bottom end of the engine due to lack of pressure.

But the rockers may run dry.

Roger

Complexly agree with what you said there Roger. I'm guessing you've watched the video? Checking the bottom end was more a case of while your there you may as well give it the quick once over with nothing to loose. Its like If you have a gearbox issue you would remove the clutch to check it even if there nothing wrong with it, because again while your there you may as well check it

Tim, you are correct it won't reduce the oil pressure but as stated 'it will reduce the oil pressure along the rest of the rockers' due to the oil going straight out the hole and as Roger said 'the rockers may run dry'

Edited by steved69tr6

Great views of the job - my audio doesn't work sadly. (personal issue not the video)

Did you consider BE/Mains/Thrusts while you were in there?

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Steve,

Forgot to say. Loved the video. Really need a library of these things.

Cheers

Tim

Cheers guys.,

There is fair amount of play in the thrust washers on this one, but I'm not really too concerned about it, as the engine is going to be rebuilt before too long

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Really enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing this as removal of sump to replace gasket is on my to do list.

How's the chassis swap on the blue car coming along ?

Keep the video's coming !

Andy

I agree with you Neil, but at the same time if you had a gearbox out surely you'd want to check the clutch as I said before hand. As I said in the video its only a rough check of the main caps, however you are correct if you could move them then yes the engine would need major work to rectify the fault. And as I'm sure your aware in that scenario the engine would be knocking its tits off from the bottom end while running

Cheers Andy, the blue one is currently nearly a naked body shell with the acceptation of the wings, doors, bonnet and boot lid there nothing else in it. The interior has been completely gutted, no steering wheel dash heater nothing its all been removed. Currently I'm stripping the paintwork back on the engine bay for a respray and carrying out some minor repairs to the floor pans. Hopefully it should get a lick of paint in the next few weeks. I'm expecting to get the new chassis in December. I'll update with a video on it sometime then

Cheers

Steve