Hazard Lights - or not?

Hi to all.

My first post - I did a search before posting but couldn't find the answer so apologies if this has been asked before!

After years of wanting I finally bought my first TR6 (have owned Heralds)...

It's a '74 CR from the UK however I currently live in Luxembourg and the car is at the moment in a garage being made legal for driving in Luxembourg - wow they are strict here...

Simple question - did the TR6 leave the factory with hazard lights as standard? I can't for the life of me find a hazard switch in my car and I have seen many dashboard pictures on the web that show a switch beneath the headlight switch. Mine doesn't have that!

I may get pinged by the Luxembourg authorities during the MoT equivalent but would be good to show (if I'm correct) that the TR6 never had hazard lights as standard.

From what I have gathered so far it seems the US versions and Continental versions had hazards but the UK did not. Could someone point me to the correct answer that I can show the authorities here?

Appreciate it!

Cheers,

Andrew

U.S. market and Malines built CKD cars had them fitted and certain L/Hand drive Canley built cars destined for specific markets also had them but UK market cars didnt.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Andrew,

My RHD car came with the standard Lucas hazard warning device because I asked for it as it was a standard fitment on BAOR cars as most of the European countries required it to be fitted. Lucas model155 refers part #54006501, they are still obtainable.

Bruce.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum, tou will find some great people out here.

My LHD 1970 CP has one fitted originally.

Some older cars do not have it fitted in the factory, and in the Netherlands in that case it would not be a legal requirement, but as suggested by Terry, you are wise to install one, even if not required.

Waldi

Your RHD CR TR6 did not have hazard warning lights fitted as standard, the UK cars never did have.

As Roger H says buy a kit and its a relatively easy fitment.

Alan G

I thought hazard lights became standard when CR-series cars came out in late '72. Bill Piggott's Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6 book shows a left hand drive CR-type dash with a red hazard switch between the tacho and speedo.

My 1970 CP-series TR6 doesn't have hazards. My 1972 GT6 does have hazards, for that's worth.

Nigel

Neither my 72 nor my 74 UK tr6's had hazards fitted from new.

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

I thought hazard lights became standard when CR-series cars came out in late '72. Bill Piggott's Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6 book shows a left hand drive CR-type dash with a red hazard switch between the tacho and speedo.

Nigel

Left hand drive is your clue.No UK market cars had them.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Your RHD CR TR6 did not have hazard warning lights fitted as standard, the UK cars never did have.

As Roger H says buy a kit and its a relatively easy fitment.

Alan G

As my car was bought on the BL friends and family scheme, I had access to the BL accessories catalogue where it was one of the options along with Serck oil cooler which was also supplied. When you say no RHD cars were supplied with hazard warning lights you are wrong as British Army on the Rhine cars were.

Bruce

I confess I've never really figured out what hazard flashers are for. The main use I have observed in 50 years of motoring is for white vans parked in awkward /illegal places ...... :unsure:

.......or for queues of buses at bus stands. At least one will be flashing away.

When you approach you think they are pulling out - but no, they are telling people that they are waiting at a bus stand where they are allowed to wait.

I give in - we are surrounded by loons

Roger

Bruce I did say UK cars were never fitted with hazards and I stand by my statement. The RHD cars supplied to British Forces overseas had to have them if that country decreed it, these were not home market cars Bruce.

Cheers

Alan G

at the moment in a garage being made legal for driving in Luxembourg - wow they are strict here...

Interested to know what changes are being made for driving in Luxembourg apart from patching the headlights?

Interested to know what changes are being made for driving in Luxembourg apart from patching the headlights?

Bearing in mind that the car left the UK with a brand new MoT with no advisories, it is in a garage having work done to the brakes, shocks, bearings, leaks, chassis plus a lot of French words that I haven't translated yet - all of which apparently would have failed the test here. It is a reputable garage so I'm sure it's all correct.

I just took it in to have the headlights changed...

Hi Andrew,

be careful with your garage. There are many things on an 'old' car that is allowable for its age but a new car would fail.

Roger

Roger got my point...