Importing a Triumph from the U.S.A.

John I imported a 6 in 2015 - details of what I paid below - note I paid $3200 for the car on ebay

I've copied and pasted from what I posted at the time - I cant confirm if any of the costs and fees have changed

The trucking from North Carolina to New York (approx 550 miles) and Shipping (shared container) from New York to Southampton including US customs was $1500 US Dollars.

At the UK the shippers costs will be £400 approx which will cover unloading Customs clearance and NOVA -plus 5% VAT on the cost of the car and the shipping cost (BTI9705)

I'd done some research but until I spoken to the UK shipper, who clarified the Customs "red tape" I was to be honest, not sure what Customs and VAT I would pay.

I used the following shippers who were superb

-CFR Rinkens LLC

15501 Texaco Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723

Office: 310-223-0474 x 2160 | Direct Line: 310-294-8494 | Fax: 323-999-5148
Email: mrobles@cfrrinkens.com

Mark Cowley - Kingstown Shipping Ltd

Ferry Berth | King George Dock | Hull | HU9 5PS

Tel: +44 (0)1482 374116 | Fax: +44 (0)1482 711997

mark.cowley@kingstownshipping.co.uk
Internet:
www.kingstownshipping.co.uk

Rinkens in the US and Kingstown in the UK

I approached Rinkens first, who then recommended Kingstown who they are affiliated with.

Mark Cowley of Kingstown is very, very helpful.

I've been rather naive in my approach to this ! on reflection I should have approached Kingstown first as they would have been able to explain the process from the outset.

The variable is the cost of trucking the car from within the US to your chosen port - New York ships to Southampton which will make collecting the car easy for me once its cleared UK customs.

To expand on the US costs :- $850 shipping, $575 trucking and $75 insurance (they seem to have waived to "non runner" fee of $25 which seems cheaper than other quotes I received).

I've also been lucky with the seller - a retired gent and his brother who like to dabble in buying and selling cars - they have been very helpful and honest from the start.

Just hoping the car turns out to be half as good as I'm hoping it will be !

Kingstown Shipping were very helpful when we imported our car, and sorted out all the duties. It wasn't very much, as the car had been made in the UK - the 5% of total cost rings a bell, so to speak.

Geoff

Basically you pay EU import tax. So for I brought mine into Germany and them trailered it to Denmark. The import duty is relevant to the country and is paid once in the EU.

Main issue mate is not shipping etc, there are loads of good companies but do shop around. Main thing is buying a car over the internet as you cant go and touch and feel it.

Mine of course looked better in the pics and I have quite a few electrical issues - but overall I'm happy. I do though think on hindsight I should have had and independent mechanic go check it.

Good luck!

Be very careful if using an American shipper.

their costs sometimes seem much cheaper than the best UK outfit, (Kingstown).

BUT then you find that their UK agent wants as much again to release the vehicle, they of course don't tell you that when you send them your hard earned.

Ask for LOTS of photos:

the entire underside of frame & tub, yes the whole thing-- close-ups!

All panel gaps, all.

The Commission Tag;

the floors, carpet pulled back;

the boot floor, tyre removed;

the engine bay both sides;

the suspensions, front & rear trailing arms & mounts;

the dash;

the seating surfaces;

the hood/top & rear plastic;

close-ups of ANY rust or panel damage.

A Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) is wise & money well-spent.

Edited by Sapphire72

HI,

Assuming the Triumph is over 30 years old you will be asked to fill a form out requesting a 9705 classification as a collectors car and so only pay a reduced rate of VAT at about 5%. The 5% is based on the cost of the car, shipping and insurance.

Depending on your luck you may be asked to pay a HMRC random x-ray charge of around £50.

The shipping cost is rarely the most expensive part as long as its East Coast. I recommend putting it in at least a shared container.

I have used Schumacher Cargo who are very helpful and provide you with a detailed log and photographs of the car on arrival to the US port.