TR6 Parade cars at Silverstone GP

This Forum just seems to be about mechanical problems, and owners asking for help. But the odd entertainment story wouldn't go amiss would it ?

As an F1 fan and TR6 owner I was surprised and pleased to see at the recent Silverstone Grand Prix that the TR Register provided their cars for the Formula One Stars to be Paraded around the circuit, with the names of these hero's boldly displayed on their TR's most of which most appeared to be TR6's.

The amusing bit for me was one of my sons who has been involved in F1 for many years and SKY F1 presenter when his own LeMans series clashes which it did that wkend.

When he was a School boy on summer days I occasionally would try to pick him up from school in my TR6, but he was never in sight!

Years later he would explain that he found that experience so embarrassing that he used to hide behind parked cars till I had gone!

What would he have thought if he had been at Silverstone to witness that fine parade, which clearly drivers like Fernando Alonso enjoyed his ride in a race prepared example.

Dennis,

Had the same with my Granddaughter when picking her up from school(please Granddad can you pick me up in your normal car as it is embarrassing).Years later Granddad can you take me to my school prom in your TR5 and said of course.Asked what had changed and she said "as I am older now and appreciate your TR5 as a beautiful cool car"

She is now hooked and helped me wash and polish my concours winning Signal Red TR5 in Malvern 2015 (now sold).

My Jasmine TR5 is hers to drive any time she wants to.

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter

Dennis

I totally agree my son who is 16 year old generally comes with me to classic car meets, loves the gatherings & photographing the cars, funny enough he loves Austin 7's. However recently he had his school prom and I have been offering to take him in my 6 as most arrive in more modern prestige cars. He said "no way" too embarrassing to be seen in car with you !!!! I think the problem with him and my car was he would have needed to go with me on his own and if it had been say a stag that could have held 3 people it would have been OK.

You cannot win

Give it a year and he will want to drive it if he passes his test and I can afford the insurance cover

Andy

Edited by Andy1966

In the early 90's I got my wreck of a 4a.

My lad wanted me to pick him up after the Friday school sports session. His friends were being collected in Rolls's etc (church/state school)

Sadly the time scale of the rebuild never did get the 4A there. It was finished a year after he left school.

Roger

As an F1 fan and TR6 owner I was surprised and pleased to see at the recent Silverstone Grand Prix that the TR Register provided their cars.

What would he have thought if he had been at Silverstone to witness that fine parade, which clearly drivers like Fernando Alonso enjoyed his ride in a race prepared example.

Hi Denis

From what you say it's clear that F1 drivers do not know what they're missing :)

Well done Ian for sharing that...What a better way to show the drivers to the crowds than that Cattle Trailer they normal put them on!

And what a great boast down the Pub to say who you gave a lift too in yer TR eh!

Which of course leads onto...Who you had famous in your TR then ?

Mickey, you're not treating this seriously!

Most famous person in my car was the late Gerry Marshall, my TR has never been driven so sideways, before or since!

Edited by Denis

Back in the 70s I owned MRV 302G, nowadays owned by my good friend Tim Timmer in The Netherlands and converted to lhd.

That's the car I sold, newly rebuilt, back in 1980 to achieve the final wadge necessary to get the ADA/Janspeed/TR Register TR8 Turbo to Le Mans.

At one of the major race meetings at Zandvoort where I was running a single seater team I came up with Rob Slotemaker, who introduced me to Maus Gatsonides, and we spent a most cheery afternoon and evening discussing TRs and Triumphs generally. The Zandvoort authorities were kind enough to allow Rob and Maus an informal few laps, before we toured off round the countryside to an excellent dinner and beers.

That was one of the real red letter days of my many decades of TRs, and there's something fitting about my old car now residing in Dutch ownership almost 40 years on . . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

The TR Register website has all the videos and some more images of this event on on the news pages for those interested: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2017/07/0108/TR-Register-opens-the-British-Grand-Prix-for-Lewis-Hamilton-Victory

Yes Roy, he doesn't 'get' old cars, or old racing cars!

Just remind him Denis that the cars he first drove are now out in historics.

Nice guy though, as our paths crossed a few times work wise. Always been a fan as he showed what a Honda could really do.

ROY