What sort of electronic ignition?

If it just replaces the points / capacitor (i.e. Accuspark / Powerspark etc.) then .025"

if it's more exotic (i.e. capacitor discharge etc.) then the manufacturer would usually advise a little wider - say .030"

Bob

Increase to 32 thou with Newtronic/Piranha. I believe that all types of electronic ignition require an increased gap.

Ian Cornish

+1

Increase to 32 thou with Newtronic/Piranha. I believe that all types of electronic ignition require an increased gap.

Ian Cornish

It depends on the system as Bob says. A simple points-replacement electronic switch does not generate any more electrical energy than standard so the gap should remain the same. All the electronics is doing is to give a more consistent switching. If the coil is replaced with a higher-output type then the plug gap can be increased but that is true for points as well. A capacitor-discharge system uses the coil in a different way as a transformer rather than as an energy storage device and hence the voltage can be higher, warranting a wider gap.

There is some pertinent info in this thread :

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/62645-getting-rid-of-points/page-2

Opinions vary, assuming all your HT components are in good order you can open up the gap a bit.... personally, I run 30 thou.

..... Andy

Thank you guys, I had fun reading the comments, well as it is an accuspark type unit will keep at 25thou any problems open up to 30thou

(sod metric) I used to be 5ft 8in now I am 1.73mts doesn't mean anything to me.

Have a great day, be careful out there !!

Lee

A tip with Accuspark, (I have the same) instead of keeping a set of points & capacitor in the car to swap to if it all goes wrong,

just buy a 2nd Accuspark to use as a spare. Much quicker to swap over. After 4 years never had to do so yet though.

Bob.

Hi,

if you buy a second Accuspark (in fact most psare parts) fit them immediately and use the working remove item as the spare.

That way you will know it works (unless it is an old TRansistor)

regarding the battle of metric/imperial. many people refer to millimeter in the short form of 'mill'. But it sounds like 'Mil'.

And of course this is the American (old imperial) short form for 1/1000" or 'Thou'

So 25 Mil becomes 25mm = apprx 1" which is 1000Mil which sounds like a Metre. - gas or electric, I have no idea.

Roger

Hi already have a spare distributor, like most people I guess fitted with condenser points etc. so easy to swap, however do take Bobs

idea on board, may go that route as not really that expensive.

best wishes to all and the fun from Roger always brings a smile, keep it up Roger !

Lee

If he could keep it up he would not need the pills :P:P :P

(sorry)

Bob.

Ah, but if he takes the pills he could

keep it up for longer. ????

Edited by potts4a