TR2 3093 alive after 45 years

So happy today, started the engine of my TR2 project (first time in 45 years it has a running engine in the body) and it started at the first attempt, I was so nervous that I forgot to film it but the second start is here https://youtu.be/8rdlrcrAXqY . Now I've got to tune the carbs and ignition, sort a tiny fuel leak just before the shut of valve (luckily just a few litres in the tank) and an oil leak somewhere around the oil filter.

This what it looked like one year ago IMG_20160831_182746.jpg

Edited by ijonsson

Inge,

Hopefully I’ll be in the same position as you in about four weeks. Mine has not run since the early 1980’s.

There is a bit of fear though…”What important bit have I forgotten?”

I have to say that YOUR website has been a FANTASTIC reference that has helped me no end the last six months. It’s the best “One stop shop” to go to for seeing pictures of how things fit together.

(It's where I first discovered that I'd put the gearbox mount on upside down Just like you did!)

I’d recommend it to anyone doing a full rebuild.

Charlie D.

Inge,

Hopefully I’ll be in the same position as you in about four weeks. Mine has not run since the early 1980’s.

There is a bit of fear though…”What important bit have I forgotten?”

I have to say that YOUR website has been a FANTASTIC reference that has helped me no end the last six months. It’s the best “One stop shop” to go to for seeing pictures of how things fit together.

(It's where I first discovered that I'd put the gearbox mount on upside down Just like you did!)

I’d recommend it to anyone doing a full rebuild.

Charlie D.

Glad that my mistakes is of help;) Just finished sealing oil and fuel leaks. Oil leak due to to thin seal under adapter to spin on filter, fuel leak due to out of position compression sleeve on copper pipe, new piece of pipe and seals in place, so now I'm ready to tune the carbs. Think I've sorted some electric gremlins as well.

/Inge

• 2 months later...

Another milestone! Today (close to 14 months after I picked up the bits and pieces) I ran the car on it's own wheels a few meters forward and backwards in the garage just to verify clutch, gearbox and brakes.

IMG_3290.jpg

Edited by ijonsson

Well Done Inge,looks like your nearing the finish.

Just have to find someone who can do the paint

Next milestone! With a LOT of butterflies in the stomach before starting, today I ran the car for the first time in public road. First impressions, easy to rev. (had to keep an eye on the redmark), non syncro on first, stiff suspension, bad brakes but can't stop smiling.

https://www.facebook.com/inge.jonsson.7/videos/1571254156230385/

IMG_3291.jpg

Edited by ijonsson

More good news, passed Swedish MOT today, last time was in 1972!

IMG_20171016_3.jpg

Interesting that they checked emissions, wonder how many UK cars would pass that!

Stuart.

Main inspection points are identification of vehicle, correct adjusted lights, indicators brake light etc., emissions (on old cars CO on new HC as well), brakes (and hand brake) to meet a specified value, if in doubt they might even check noise level, steering and front suspension free of play, wheel bearings free of play, oil leaks (here the guy actually said that this car was unusually free from oil leaks being and old English car) , shocks all around, transmission, condition of tyres, corrosion in vital parts of frame and body, and finally the inspector takes it for a drive test. Cost approx GBP 40.

Edited by ijonsson

Test drive too, thats a proper test.

Stuart.

Yeah, it's like going to the dentists, same cold sweat.

Edited by ijonsson