Electronic Ignition

Hi Andy,

regarding the quality of the electronic points.

Lumention Magnetronic is about £110 (bloody hell)

My first one lasted about 8 years and then it died. The replacement (another £90 or so) has lasted 12+ years.

Then you have £30 plastic wonders on ebay. These do work and are cheap enough to happily replace.

Both use the same technology (Hall effect) but there are simple ways of operating them and more involved ways.

I haven't a clue if the price reflects the quality of the circuit or even if a better quality HE sensor is used

My thought on the difference between the Lumenition and the Ebay Wonder is the construction materials.

The Lumenition has a metal body, the cheapo has a plastic body. Heat is usually the enemy of electronics

Has anybody done a comparison between the various examples of life, heat build up etc.

I would go for the Lumenition simply because of the better construction.

Replacement of the module after a failure is quick and easy compared to the standard points.

However the beauty of the standard points is they have an agonosing death and thankfully do it over a longish period.

Roger