Sign in to follow this  
Don H.

Don H. TR3B story -- from 1962, 1981-2017

I've collected just about everything on my TR3B into a modest coffee table book, published using the digital printer blurb.com. The book is about 70 pages, over 200 images, telling the story of how I came to own the car, its long term storage, recovery, restoration, and completion. It might be of interest to a few here to see a preview of the book on the Blurb site.

http://www.blurb.com/books/8081705-triumph-tr3b-tsf202l-from-1962-1981-2017

The preview will open small, but there's a two-arrow full-screen icon that will enlarge the preview. It will still be too small to read unless you have a big monitor, but it will give a better look at the images. Note that when you click the full-screen icon it will likely take a few minutes for the display to change -- for sure you'll think the program has hung. Give it time. It'll come through.

But for heaven's sake don't BUY the book! Blurb does great quality -- I've done a number of other books there -- but the pricing is steep even for the guy who owns the car. It's definitely NOT worth more than enjoying the preview. Showing it through the Blurb bookstore is simply the easiest way for me to give others a chance to look at it.

i-JGPkwNB.jpg

(link updated to take one directly to the preview.)

Edited by Don H.

Fantastic book Don, I had not realised just how bad your car had been, I thought they kept well preserved over there !

Would love to read it all someday.

Bob.

Thanks, guys. Hard copy and paper books still have a lot of value (at least to me). They make it easier to tell the story, and printed paper makes a fine long-term archiving system!

There's a reason they call the area around my home state of Ohio and the the Great Lakes the "Rust Belt", Bob! Not everyone "over there" is Arizona or Southern California! In the world of upper Midwestern TRs, mine was really quite good -- far better than many.

Wow- thats brilliant Don. I wonder how many of us have that wealth of detail available about our cars?

Nice job too Roger......

.........now where to start with mine?

Iain

Nice looking book, Roger! One can tell when the people who really know how to do this get involved....

Iain, start collecting your images and artwork and dig in! With all the historical information on your car it would make a terrific story.

I used one of several tools Blurb offers for desktop composition. Their downloadable BookSmart program allows one to dig right in with pretty clear instructions and a wide range of formatting and template tools. They have a few other ways to compile a book, including their Adobe LightRoom add-on (if you're a LR user) but I like BookSmart 'cause it seems to give me the most control. Some of the other tools appear to do a better job of managing images during conversion from monitor to page -- the difference from a "projected" RGB image on a screen to a "printed" CYMK image on paper is sometimes significant, and the book version will almost always be darker with deeper shadows simply because of the principles involved. The offline BookSmart program can be used at your leisure and the file uploaded to Blurb when you're ready to print.

Looks great Don !

as said before, looks like the book from Raymond, he offers it in digital version too, which is a lot cheaper ( a few euro's) if possible, i would be it digital :)

cheers!

You bet, Tom -- TRH is still puttering around Triumphs, although he went pretty hard to the Doretti side about thirty years ago. He's restoring a Doretti for a guy now in fact -- saw it the other week in his garage.

When my car fell of the jack earlier this year leading to questions about the alignment of the fan hub extension and crank dog bolt, I was able to score NOS parts from his stash for replacement when I'm back home to work on the car at the end of September. He's not in the parts business, but he will dig out something for friends from time to time.

i-ShVpxbD-X3.jpg

Really enjoyed both Don and Roger's creations. Its a great way of capturing and sharing the stories.

Great work Don, well done. Roger your in the business so would expect nothing less!

Stuart.

Great book Don.....it's brilliant to see a record of the work and passion involved.

I agree with you about 'Blurb's' pricing, but a wonderful momento.

Here is a link to 'Raymonds' book about my car: http://www.blurb.com/books/3169498-triumph-sports-tr3a