Oil change frequency

I was wondering what the views are on the frequency of oil (engine) and filter changes especially if the car is not used a great deal. Mine for example does around 1000 miles a year and I change the oil every 2 years. Is this too long? too short? Whilst on the subject any views on gearbox and diff oil?

I would do the engine oil and filter annually, false economy not too!

Gearbox/Diff regular top up's but debatable about total change, certainly I

haven't changed my diff oil in 20 years plus.

John.

There have been some recent threads on this subject I think Jomac, so you might want to have a search for those. Some people say that an engine oil change isn't necessary each year if you are not doing many miles, but I change mine annually. However, I did read somewhere on the forum that it might actually be better to leave the filter in place for a couple of years, depending on the sort of miles you do, so I might do that next time, as I only do around 2000 miles per year in my 5.

Last time I did an engine oil change, I also replaced the gearbox oil, because I wasn't sure how long it had been in there. With the diff, as you probably know, there isn't a drain plug on the 5, so I just topped mine up.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

If you look at used oil analysis results for gearboxes and diffs you will find the iron wear metals in car diffs are around 4 times what they are in car gearboxes for the same mileage and that the diff oils loose their viscosity properties faster than gearbox oil.

On the other hand there are people on this forum who recommend not changing the diff oil.

Edited by Eddie Cairns

Change each year (engine) seems to work well enough for me.... not precious about being a couple of months over either

.... Andy

I was wondering what the views are on the frequency of oil (engine) and filter changes especially if the car is not used a great deal. Mine for example does around 1000 miles a year and I change the oil every 2 years. Is this too long? too short? Whilst on the subject any views on gearbox and diff oil?

Hello Jomac

You have a £10,000 to £30,000 car and you are asking about £20 to £30 of oil?

NTC is right water in oil from lack of use and the best time to change oil is before you lay it up for the winter so you have clean oil with all the anti rust inhibitors etc coating the inside of your pride and joy.

So my advice is just do it! filter may be not? but then its only another £10 so that's B****ger all

Lets put it this way you can not get an engine rebuild for £30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Hi Folks,

as mentioned in an above post there is good reason not to change the filter too early.

Assuming it is a good quality filter, they improve with mileage up to a point before then failing.

So a good 5000 or 6000 miles will do no harm

Perhaps changing too often too quickly could actually cause more damage by allowing the muck to get through before the filter has settled down.

Roger

For what they cost it must be worth changing the Oil Filter at the same time as the oil?

I've always changed my Oil & Filter in my classics once a year, although I never exceed 3,000 miles per year.

If you read the Workshop manual and handbook it does state Oil change every 6,000 and Oil & Filter every 12,000 though?

Yep

Before the spin on kits, the oil drained out of the filter.

Butt thee,s spin on thingys dont stop the oil gallery frae draining

John, shame on ye, did ye no see the state of them gears an bearing caps , due t, water int oil,!!!

oils cheeper than diffs,or GB an ingins

M

M