Securing a pup in the 6

Hi All.

We have a new addition to the family and would like to take him out in the car.

Any ideas on securing him ? Probably on my wife's lap.

Cheers Mark.

I have an eye bolt for clip on seat belts secured through the rear platform against the resr bulkhead. A climbing tape loop oases through it and a carabiner clips through it to the dogs Ruffwear harness (tough kit)

This allows him enough leeway to sit and lie on the rear platform and lie on the transmission tunnel between the seats but prevents any interference with the driver and would keep him clear of the dash in the event of a sharp deceleration.

there is device(a short strap) that will clip into your existing seat belt that is designed to restrain your dog safely for you both. they are available on ebay and amazon.

Edited by Paulsb

As Neil +1 for footwell, we put 2 full size Springer Spaniels in there with the wife's legs over them, they've travelled thousands of miles like this, we try and give them a break every 2 hours or so but often they let us get out and they are happy to remain in the footwell curled up.

It's a misnomer that dogs like or need space for sleeping in, they much prefer a close fitting "box" type close fitting area to curl up in. If you have a cage for them they prefer it small enough so their body touches all the sides when curled up. Clip a short strap onto a body harness for them (never the collar) and a restraint strap from there to a convenient strong point (seat frame or seat belt u bolt) so the strap is in full extension and won't allow forward movement.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

+1 for Mick : never use a collar. There are a good many harnesses to choose from (some better than others), so it's a good idea to shop around and find one specifically designed and tested for use in the car.

Cheers, Deggers

As Neil +1 for footwell, we put 2 full size Springer Spaniels in there with the wife's legs over them, they've travelled thousands of miles like this, we try and give them a break every 2 hours or so but often they let us get out and they are happy to remain in the footwell curled up.

It's a misnomer that dogs like or need space for sleeping in, they much prefer a close fitting "box" type close fitting area to curl up in. If you have a cage for them they prefer it small enough so their body touches all the sides when curled up. Clip a short strap onto a body harness for them (never the collar) and a restraint strap from there to a convenient strong point (seat frame or seat belt u bolt) so the strap is in full extension and won't allow forward movement.

Mick Richards

Dog's like den's and can protect themselves better than you.

Thanks for the replies guys, I agree the footwell is definitely the safest place but would still feel better if he was fixed in.

Found this harness online, might be able to sort something out with it.

Cheers Mark.

I can't have been clear, the dogs have harnesses on and are connected from their harnesses by a short strap which is secured to the safety belt eyes. At full extension forward there is enough length to allow them to travel in the foot well thereby preventing them being thrown forward in an accident.

Worried about scratching paint ? not with this sort of equipment https://www.baxterboo.com/p.cfm/pawz-disposable-dog-booties-12pk-xx-small-yellow all sizes available.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

The Ruffwear harness is definitely the best, I have one for each of mine, there is also a very convenient handle on the back to hook them out of trouble!

Stuart.

post-3753-0-69930600-1501402199_thumb.jpg

..........handle on the back to hook them out of trouble!

Spaniels must spend a large percentage of their day dangling from the harness then.

Ours came with the nickname Barney rubble (trouble!).

Alan :)

Edited by barkerwilliams

Hi Mick.

I obviously read your post wrong apologies for that. Yes that sounds perfect, do they connect to the belt or the belt posts ?

Hi Stuart.

Cracking photo, and a good idea.

Thanks again Mark.

Mark,

Belt post.

Mick Richards

The Ruffwear harness is definitely the best, I have one for each of mine, there is also a very convenient handle on the back to hook them out of trouble!

Stuart.

attachicon.gif12022582_836725063113416_4097586918305410384_o - Copy - Copy.jpg

Love that photo Stuart. Time for a caption competition I reckon!

I wasn't going to reply to this post as sadly George passed away 2 weeks ago and I am still very emotional.

George went in the TR occasionally but has never laid down in any car. He always insisted on standing up or sitting so had to remove the seat to give him room, and tied his lead to the handbrake. Probably not the most sensible thing!

In the Taxi he always sat up on the rear seat like the king he was.

Nigel

post-4217-0-50099100-1501429839_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-08320800-1501429868_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

Yes, you often can make that attachment to dog that is sometimes otherwise difficult to emulate in life, it does get better.

Mick Richards

My large greyhound occupies the passenger floor of the Doretti and has travelled to several International Weekends, the Isles Tour to Orkney and Shetland and numerous other events. His bed is in the space where the passenger seat normally goes and he wears a harness attached by a short lead to the chassis hoop behind the dashboard. Hard braking just causes him to slide into the footwell where he is well protected. Also he doesn't give me advice on how to drive.

Cheers Richard