Steering unit rubber belows

Darren excellent job on the video I enjoyed watching it very professional,may have to replace mine at some stage, this would be a great idea doing more videos on different aspects of maintenance, much better than just a verbal explaination, something for the TR register to think about eh? a series of maintenance videos.

Lee

Ordered the gaiter set incl. nylon safety bolts on sunday, just arrived this morning, five days to southern France!

Starting the job, one more question: what type of grease must/should de used?

Currently there is some reddish type of grease on it.

Would standard molybdenum grease do?

Darren / earckens

Just a note for the video. The nyloc nut ( part No GHF224 ) on the track rod end , as a safety item , should never be re-used. ALWAYS replace.

Just a warning note: i did order the GHF224 from Rimmers, they sent a 7/16" nut, should have been 1/2": GHF225

Edited by earckens
  • 3 weeks later...

Darren excellent job on the video I enjoyed watching it very professional,may have to replace mine at some stage, this would be a great idea doing more videos on different aspects of maintenance, much better than just a verbal explaination, something for the TR register to think about eh? a series of maintenance videos.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Nice of you to say so. Although, as is always the case, afterwards I noticed things I should have done differently, both with the job itself and the way I filmed and edited it. I really only ever made the film as a guide for myself when I next do the job, so it wasn't intended for general consumption, but if it's been of some use to others then great.

I too would like to see some more general maintenance videos from the club ... they do have some, but more would be appreciated. To see the club's videos, you'll need to login for the following page ... http://www.tr-register.co.uk/past-issues/category/technical-seminar-videos

Just a warning note: i did order the GHF224 from Rimmers, they sent a 7/16" nut, should have been 1/2": GHF225

Thanks for that. With the grease, I just used Castrol Multipurpose.

So, how did the job go for you. Hope it was easy.

Cheers, Darren

With the grease, I just used Castrol Multipurpose.

So, how did the job go for you. Hope it was easy.

Cheers, Darren

Hi, the video was of great help, and the job itself took one hour me working at ease with no experience on the TR4. The gaither slid easily in place, no need for hot water or other tricks.

Thanks for the grease tip; since I got no reply on my grease question a few weeks ago I used some high quality lithium grease for speedbearings.

Now back in Belgium I already miss my TR4 (she stays on location).

Greetings,

Erik

Apologies guys , I took the part number from the Moss website steering diagram.

A non original rack or have Moss got it wrong ?

Bob

I don't know if my steering rack is original, I do think so, but no offense, I ordered new parts for the next job and included it there (front suspension overhaul, you know "Creaking front suspension" ;) ).

Grts,

Erik