What year is my tr3 likely to be?

I'd guess that car's a TR3A, with wide-mouth front grille, and that it dates from the 3rd quarter of 1957. The "L" in the commission number describes it as a Left hand drive car.

Hi Richard ~

On top of the front chassis cross-member you'll find a small brass plate with a 'Z' followed by three numbers.

This will give you the date of manufacture. I can send you the complete list of 'Z' numbers if you want.

Where are you located?

Tom.

Hi Richard ~

On top of the front chassis cross-member you'll find a small brass plate with a 'Z' followed by three numbers.

This will give you the date of manufacture. I can send you the complete list of 'Z' numbers if you want.

Where are you located?

Tom.

Chassis Z-numbers aren't strictly a date code. They're more a "version" code used by Sankeys engineering to denote minor evolution. I think they're steel, not brass.

Hi everyone,

Purchased a tr3 to do up recently, wondering what year it's from?

Vin number : TS 22510 and might have an L at the end.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Richard

The TR3A series started from TS 22014 but the differences

between TR3s and TR3As were not 'cleanly' introduced so

you may just find some TR3 features on your TR3A (which

may or may not be original on a car almost 60 years old).

AlanR

Dont forget if the OP is in the US they would call them TR3`s even when they are a 3a.

Stuart.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm located in the U.K.

Got another question for you: How can I prove the year to the DVLA so I can get an age related number plate?

I've got the Californian vehicle import document which says "1963" but I'm sure this was the year it was imported rather than the year it was made, as they didn't make them then!

I am worried that the dvla might take the American title document as the year.

Many thanks

Richard.

My 1959 TR3a spent two years in Europe before it went to the States so the Florida title showed 1961.

The initial registration document issued by DVLA Showed 1961 but when I provided them with evidence of the date of manufacture through the TS number they issued an updated V5.

I couldn't get a Heritage Certificate because the records for the period when my car was made were missing.

Rgds Ian