Hi All

I have imported a TR3B from the US.

The last owner had it for 52 years, so I know it is in original, unrestored, never been taken apart condition. I would have known that anyway just from looking at it.

I thought the seat bases had been repaired, as the strengthening pressings are missing from the centre of the seat bases.

However, there is another 3B on eBay at the moment (item 332315446603) which has the same seat bases as mine, i.e a flat areas in the centre of the base.

So, I am coming to the conclusion that TR3B seats are in fact a hybrid of early TR4 seats.

It looks very much to me like the factory used early TR4 seats and simply removed the dishing in the pressing of the base, leaving a flat area in the centre. They are not altered TR4 seats, the bases were pressed like this from new.

This would make sense given they were built alongside early TR4's, and using TR3A runners would require the dish to be removed.

Does anybody have any knowledge of this, or have a 3B to confirm or otherwise?

Any info' appreciated.

Thanks Simon

The eBay item number doesn't work, Simon.

Post some photos of your seats and bases, please. I can't really understand what you're referring to.

What commission number series is your TR3B? TSF or TCF?

The ebay number 332315446603 does work (over here anyway)

I see what you mean about the flat centre part. The runners look normal for a '3 though.

Bob.

Yeah, Bob, the listing does work if I log onto ebay.co.uk. A worldwide search of the item number on ebay.com doesn't find it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR3-B-1962-LHD-/332315446603

That looks like a later TCF-series TR3B, which had more TR4 bits making it into production than the earlier TSF-series of 3Bs, like mine. It's important to note the difference between series when getting into the esoterica of TR3Bs. But it's also important to note that where TR3Bs are concerned, there really are no rules. Everything's possible as they worked to get cars out the door.

My car had two seat bases that were different from each other when I got it in 1981. Both original to the car as far as I could tell.

i-Hc5jLSW.jpg

Hi All

The eBay number is correct and Don's link above does work.

My car is TCF4XXL, so the later and best series.

The seat on the right in Don's photo is the same as mine, so proven I think?

I take the point about anything available in the factory will do, especially with the transition cars!

Thanks Simon

...My car is TCF4XXL, so the later and best series...

Well, I'm not really sure I'd agree with that, Simon (smile). It's easy enough to upgrade engine displacement during the almost obligatory rebuild -- my car has 87mm pistons and liners now, for example. And as far as I can tell, all TR3Bs had the full-synchro gearbox of the TR4 and the less-desirable adjustable steering. I guess the main difference would be the brakes, and I'd have a hard time saying TSF (TR3A) or TCF (TR4) has an advantage one over the other.

Anyone who would take on that eBay listing would have a real project on their hands , it looks like! These cars are eminently restorable, but, boy, that one's got some work ahead of it!

It'll be fun to watch your car come back together, Simon, so please keep us updated. There are a few TR3B owners here on the forum (but only a handful).

Edited by Don H.

By the way... did you notice by chance the restored TR3B that was auctioned by RM-Sotheby's in Santa Monica the other week? TCF2639L, sold at £18,600 ($24,200 -- before commissions, one assumes). Looked fairly solid, although not one for concours folks.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/ca17/santa-monica/lots/1963-triumph-tr3b/1703512

i-kpW8Njq-L.jpg

You may be interested, Simon, in this gallery of photos the owner of TCF56L since 1966 allowed me to take of his car before he sold it in 2013.

https://4xdog.smugmug.com/frame/slideshow?key=L7MT4W&autoStart=1&captions=0&navigation=0&playButton=0&randomize=0&speed=3&transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1

(Should be a slideshow on a PC/Mac. Probably won't work on iPad.)

You may be interested, Simon, in this gallery of photos the owner of TCF56L since 1966 allowed me to take of his car before he sold it in 2013.

https://4xdog.smugmug.com/frame/slideshow?key=L7MT4W&autoStart=1&captions=0&navigation=0&playButton=0&randomize=0&speed=3&transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1

(Should be a slideshow on a PC/Mac. Probably won't work on iPad.)

Good and useful photos Don.

I can not quite read the name of the sewing trimmer signed on the tonneau just forward of the steering wheel pocket, is it Ann ?

Peter W

Good and useful photos Don.

I can not quite read the name of the sewing trimmer signed on the tonneau just forward of the steering wheel pocket, is it Ann ?

Peter W

Looks sort of like "AB" to me, Peter, but it could be a number of other things, too. Click on image below for full size version:

i-DXsM47P.jpg