Early TR2 Rear lights and thermostat TS70L

I seem to making some headway with my search for the missing bits

and bobs for the TR2.I thought I might have some luck in The Netherlands

for a source for the thermostat, but apparently they are all sold and the casting

equipment is proving difficult to track down!

(1)So I'm looking for a really manky old thermostat to start the process all

over again.Outright, loan, what ever may be available, in order to make the

casting patterns.Unless ,of course, there's a good'un out there?

(2)The bezels for the rear lights are also going to be problematic also.

Again, I need an unusable one, from which I can reproduce, in sheet brass,

a pair of replicas.I have a gifted 'metal basher' who can make.(At a price!)

Any front bumper irons? (I know repros are available, but they're very much

a last resort for me.

(3) Pushing my luck, of course, does anyone know a source, beg or borrow,

for the attachment paraphenalia, for the rear wheel spats?.

(4) Left hand throttle pedal assembly?

Aside from this, I've stripped and rebuilt the SUs with missing parts with a view

to running the engine up before removal to repaint the underbonnet area, replaced

the Canadian replica (non hand primer) fuel pump,sent the Lockheed master

cylinder off to PastParts, acquired all the other wheel cylinders, clutch slave

and rubber hoses, plus sourced a really grotty Girling axle in case of the inevitable!

Small instruments sourced and are in for overhaul.

Once I have pretty much everything I'll start the reassembly process!

Roger M-E

Hi Roger

Without setting any expectations on timing, the wheels are already in motion as last year the SDF supplied an early thermostat housing to an excellent organisation and after checking the quality of the castings, have subsequently purchased the patterns produced from that part lent, . There are some casting, manufacturing and machining processes to be determined to get to a final product.

Fingers crossed now that the hard work is done, remanufactured items will be available not too far into the future (relatively speaking). Pete Cox has been invaluable in helping with, and progressing this project, and Glen Hewitt at Protek has offered his services as the future supplier.

Early light bezels are also on the radar and some preliminary work has already been undertaken, but I can't say what the next steps (or not) are yet.

I'm sure Ian Cornish will be along on the forum to correct any of these details if I'm wrong

Spats - the SDF offered lots of money for an original for sale on ebay in America, but were out bid............

Glen Hewitt at Protek manufactured the spats for MVC575, maybe a good idea to contact him?

Bumper irons and throttle pedal - Have you tried David Ferry (on this forum)

Best Wishes

Ian

TS2 did have the early thermostat housing for a short time until it was dumped

as it gave too much trouble.

So - there's an indication of where there may be one to copy - or even buy?

AlanR

Hi Roger

Without setting any expectations on timing, the wheels are already in motion as last year the SDF supplied an early thermostat housing to an excellent organisation and after checking the quality of the castings, have subsequently purchased the patterns produced from that part lent, . There are some casting, manufacturing and machining processes to be determined to get to a final product.

Fingers crossed now that the hard work is done, remanufactured items will be available not too far into the future (relatively speaking). Pete Cox has been invaluable in helping with, and progressing this project, and Glen Hewitt at Protek has offered his services as the future supplier.

Early light bezels are also on the radar and some preliminary work has already been undertaken, but I can't say what the next steps (or not) are yet.

I'm sure Ian Cornish will be along on the forum to correct any of these details if I'm wrong

Spats - the SDF offered lots of money for an original for sale on ebay in America, but were out bid............

Glen Hewitt at Protek manufactured the spats for MVC575, maybe a good idea to contact him?

Bumper irons and throttle pedal - Have you tried David Ferry (on this forum)

Best Wishes

Ian

Out of curiosity from someone not so good in English, what is a "rear wheel spat"?

Out of curiosity from someone not so good in English, what is a "rear wheel spat"?

The partial cover over the rear wheels, if you look at TS2 pictures or MVC575 you will see the rear wheels behind these covers

Regards

Ian

The partial cover over the rear wheels, if you look at TS2 pictures or MVC575 you will see the rear wheels behind these covers

Regards

Ian

Thanks

/Inge

On 7/19/2017 at 9:42 PM, roger murray-evans said:

I seem to making some headway with my search for the missing bits

and bobs for the TR2.I thought I might have some luck in The Netherlands

for a source for the thermostat, but apparently they are all sold and the casting

equipment is proving difficult to track down!

(1)So I'm looking for a really manky old thermostat to start the process all

over again.Outright, loan, what ever may be available, in order to make the

casting patterns.Unless ,of course, there's a good'un out there?

(2)The bezels for the rear lights are also going to be problematic also.

Again, I need an unusable one, from which I can reproduce, in sheet brass,

a pair of replicas.I have a gifted 'metal basher' who can make.(At a price!)

Any front bumper irons? (I know repros are available, but they're very much

a last resort for me.

(3) Pushing my luck, of course, does anyone know a source, beg or borrow,

for the attachment paraphenalia, for the rear wheel spats?.

(4) Left hand throttle pedal assembly?

Aside from this, I've stripped and rebuilt the SUs with missing parts with a view

to running the engine up before removal to repaint the underbonnet area, replaced

the Canadian replica (non hand primer) fuel pump,sent the Lockheed master

cylinder off to PastParts, acquired all the other wheel cylinders, clutch slave

and rubber hoses, plus sourced a really grotty Girling axle in case of the inevitable!

Small instruments sourced and are in for overhaul.

Once I have pretty much everything I'll start the reassembly process!

Roger M-E

Roger,

Do not forget that to fit the Girling axle you will also need bigger internal diameter U bolts and corresponding Girling axle lower plates (the axle tube is a bigger diameter) Plus of course a change in thread for the hydraulic hose from BSF to Unified. Handbrake cables across the axle are either for 9" or 10" drums. 10" will fit both types, 9" are a tight fit on 10" drum axles.

Which radiator do you have? The early one for the big thermostat housing has its top hose position more central than the later thermostat housing type.

Attached are low res images of spat sold on ebay recently.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Roger,

Do not forget that to fit the Girling axle you will also need bigger internal diameter U bolts and corresponding Girling axle lower plates (the axle tube is a bigger diameter) Plus of course a change in thread for the hydraulic hose from BSF to Unified. Handbrake cables across the axle are either for 9" or 10" drums. 10" will fit both types, 9" are a tight fit on 10" drum axles.

Which radiator do you have? The early one for the big thermostat housing has its top hose position more central than the later thermostat housing type.

Attached are low res images of spat sold on ebay recently.

Peter W

attachicon.gifSpat 01.jpgattachicon.gifSpat 02.jpgattachicon.gifSpat 03.jpgattachicon.gifSpat 04.jpg

Hi Pete

we/SDF, tried to buy this but were beaten by a snipe bid at the death. The seller agreed to contact the buyer and he has since (received by us only yesterday) sent details of the buyer whom we will be contacting.

Regards

Ian

PeterW,

Yes, good point I'd forgotten about the U-bolts.Actually I think

this axle may well have come off my last TR2, in which case

they may be sitting on a shelf in Devon along with the plates!

I'm hoping the Lockheed axle will , at least, last long enough

to get me 'up the road'.The a.m TR2 was delivered with a

broken half shaft (which wasn't broken when I viewed the car).

£6 bought a new one, which promptly encouraged the other

side to break about 50 miles later.I remember doing them both

outside in the snow.Very romantic!

The current car came with a later radiator, but I do have a resourceful,

old school radiator man who can move things about.

The wheels spats I have are the same as the one in your attachments.

If the SDF needs a pair to copy, mine can be made available so feel free to contact whilst

they are still cosmetically challenged and before they are transformed into things of beauty (or hideousness, if you are stylistically tested!)

Personally I'd have every car I owned fitted with wheel spats I love 'em so much!

They were originally, (and I believe from new)on a powder blue 3A belonging to Kent

group leader , Ken Lancaster.When he sold the car to a mutual friend, said

friend fitted wires straight away, and gifted the spats to me to me.The fittings

remained on the car.Contact was then lost.The fittings are probably still on the

car.It was the best TR I'd ever seen condition wise.Kent registered KKE*** or

the other way around.

They won't present much of a challenge to a panel basher to reproduce

but they do have a fair amount of shape built into them.Depending on the quality

of desired fit, I'd say they would have been best 'fitted' to the wings prior to painting.

If my new Windows 10 operating system permitted I'd attach photos of mine, but

I can't get to grips with it like the old XP system!

Roger M-E

• 1 year later...

Hi Roger,

I am restoring an early housing for an owner in Hawaii and it was in a bad way and should be finished soon. So no matter how bad they can perhaps be rebuilt so go for whatever you can find and I'll help out.

Carbs.

Here's a pic of my restored carbs and manifold ready to fit.

Early rear lights.

I don'y anticipate that you'll get a loan of the early bezel as they are so rare. BUT>>>>>>>>>>

You probably already have half the unit for a base. The later model rear light unit has basically the same shape with a flat return cut to suit the squared lens.

I can perhaps make a casting of a Nos one for you to use as a buck. Drop me a line and we can talk it through. Check the pic I sent you of the brackets for the reflectors as the light bezel is there as well.

You have a bigger problem making the fitting gasket as it is specific to these lights. Also a difficult moulding as the lens and bezel sit on top but not fully to the rear wing section on a sort of top hat affair.

Spats,

HMMMMMMMMMMM?

You know my opinion already.

I have never like them but that is my opinion. If it was me I would tape them into position and sit and stare at the car a long time before committing to butchering your rear wings. IMHO opinion the very fitting to secure the spat weaken the wing.

Optimized-TR2_h4_Carbs.JPG

3 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Roger,

I am restoring an early housing for an owner in Hawaii and it was in a bad way and should be finished soon. So no matter how bad they can perhaps be rebuilt so go for whatever you can find and I'll help out.

Early rear lights.

I don'y anticipate that you'll get a loan of the early bezel as they are so rare. BUT>>>>>>>>>>

You probably already have half the unit for a base. The later model rear light unit has basically the same shape with a flat return cut to suit the squared lens.

I can perhaps make a casting of a Nos one for you to use as a buck. Drop me a line and we can talk it through. Check the pic I sent you of the brackets for the reflectors as the light bezel is there as well.

You have a bigger problem making the fitting gasket as it is specific to these lights. Also a difficult moulding as the lens and bezel sit on top but not fully to the rear wing section on a sort of top hat affair.

Hi Rod

I pm'd Roger with an update on the thermostat housing - they are out for quotation for the required machining, the castings are sorted
Rear light bezels - the SDF has acquired a limited stock of the correct profile items and are in the process of getting the gasket made. These things take time, and money but at least they are on the way.........
Regards
Ian

Ian and Rod,

Sorry,I hadn't meant to re-boot the whole subject matter, it was just to appraise

Rod of the background history to the thermostat production news referred to in the

more recent 'TR2 thermostat housing' posting of this month.

Personally, I sourced an excellent used housing offered by a forumite some time back, and also

acquired a pair of repro brass light bezels from Holland which had become freely available

on the net but which required plating, and I assume the same source as now potentially available from the SDF?

I'm afraid I'm not as patient as I once was, and as  both opportunities presented  themselves

I availed myself forthwith, along with a pair of the correct rear reflectors kindly offered, courtesy

of Rod himself!

Otherwise,I'm hoping to complete my car this year.Lucky to have 10 months of it left!

Roger M-E

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

Tempus fugit!

I've nailed all the missing parts for my TR2 project except for the Lucas

L471 rear light gaskets.

Before I cobble up my own, is it likely the SDF will be producing these in

the near future?

Cheers

Roger M-E

Roger,

the answer is yes to the gaskets, they will be offered along with "new" chrome surrounds, of which there is a very limited number that the SDF have acquired. I cant say exactly when, but its very much in progress

Cheers
Ian