Hi There I am a new member and have just bought a TR3A.

Its a lovely car but I have a problem in that it does not have any seat belts and i want to fit them.

My question is whether it is better to fit a three point belt or a lap belt? I have see many pictures of both types fitted. I feel that the 3 point would be safer, but other TR3 owners i know have fitted lap belts.

Finally if i fit a three point belt can anyone recommend which points are best to fit it to?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

welcome to the forum.

Regarding the belts. What are they there for. probably to save your life in the event of a crash.

A lap strap may well slow you down but probably not stop you. You will go out the bottom. And the firemen will shovel you out from the footwell.

If it does stop you it will not stop your face changing the shape of the steering wheel

The three point is a little more robust. It may well stop or slow your entry into the steering wheel.

It will probably stop you sliding under the lap strap section and disappear into the footwell.

The safest ones are the four point belts (I wonder why the racing drivers use these !!)

Under normal disaster situations these should stop your upper body moving forward.

However in a really good front ender there is little stopping the steering wheel coming your way.

You have to make a choice.

The lap strap is useless - even on aircraft.

The three point is a happy medium but not perfect.

The four point holds you securely but you may have trouble with the handbrake on the TR2/3/4

Enjoy your car - Where abouts are you. Go and say hello to your local group.

Good luck

Roger

4 point harnesses are a significant safety improvement over a three point.

Don't forget that to get the full benefit you will need decent seats with head restraints and a roll bar.......Motorsport Mickey will be quick to point out that a liquid barrier between you and the fuel tank is just as important.

Do all that and you will bring the safety level up to "extremely poor"

I'm kinda hoping to be "thrown clear" in my car! Yeah, I know...

It really does change when/where one drives, though -- I try to stay away from the other guys as much as possible!

I've got three point fitted to my 3a. They are a little low on the shoulder but as good as you'll get without going to the (very) restrictive four points.

To be honest though, a front or rear ender at anything over 40mph and you're in trouble. Don't even think about a side impact - you'd never want to drive it.

Hi There I am a new member and have just bought a TR3A.

Its a lovely car but I have a problem in that it does not have any seat belts and i want to fit them.

My question is whether it is better to fit a three point belt or a lap belt? I have see many pictures of both types fitted. I feel that the 3 point would be safer, but other TR3 owners i know have fitted lap belts.

Finally if i fit a three point belt can anyone recommend which points are best to fit it to?

Thanks

David

David

Don't be put off by all the scary stories.

You could be really crazy and ride a motorbike !!

I swapped those for a TR3a

I love it.

From your options go for a 3 point.

Full harnesses need quite specific mounting points.

Welcome and enjoy your car.

H

I have 4-point belts in my TR3. They do restrict movement and as Roger says grabbing the handbrake is tricky. I usually hook it up with my left foot and catch it with my hand. :wacko: Alternatively the passenger can reach it better. (If she's awake!) -_- I have thought about tying a bit of baler twine to the handle so I can operate it more easily ;) .

Thanks all. It looks like the 3 point belt seems to have it. I realize that its only of any real practical use at very low speeds. Best be careful!

Hi Ben,

it's a TR not a bloody TRactor.

Oh wait a minute - scrub that.

Roger

:lol: :lol: :lol: Roger it's my agricultural alter ego coming out!!

Being careful is certainly one of the best safety improvements.

SWMBO says that now I have full harnesses, bucket seats and a roll bar I drive faster so I gues that the net safety improvement is zero or less????

Nothing wrong with bailer twine, I always carry some in the car(s)

Bob.

P.S.

The combine I use in September is held together with the stuff !

Hamish, you mentioned specific mounting points. I had a lap and diagonal in the TR3A when I bought it but they have come out as I thought they looked ugly. The spool for the belt was just behind the door at the top and it was catching on the seat. There are two points that will now be free. One on the tunnel and the other on the interior at the bottom behind the door.

I had thought of a full harness with the shoulder straps going into one mounting above the rear seat. What would you advise.?

Hi

I've had my car a year.

The previous owner had used the car in anger in 30+ years ago and had a 3 point harness i.e. The shoulder straps combined to a fitting on the "rear seat" area of the floor.

However , whilst I didn't need to have a roll bar I felt that as I was entering the clubs sprint and hill climb championship I would fit safety kit.

And also I saw little point in being fully strapped into a car without that protection.

Thus I followed the design / fitting requirement in the the MSA "blue book" (Motor Sport Association)

This describes the belt fixing and max / min belt angles. ( thus quite specific)

Basically the shoulder belts need to fit close to horizontal.

The roll bar I bought has the shoulder belt fitting points included.

Any belt fixing point needs a strengthening plate and suitable eye bolts.

This is over the top for the racing regs for our older cars but safer.

I did HAVE to have a fire wall though an Ali sheet between driver and fuel tank.

It has been mentioned before a full harness does restrict movement for every day driving. E.g. Leaning forward for a better view at junctions.

But for me if it's safe enough for racing it should be ok for roads.

post-14544-0-21200600-1500651631_thumb.gif

post-14544-0-39444600-1500652067_thumb.jpg

post-14544-0-63732900-1500652128_thumb.jpg

If you wanted classic style non retractable 3point belts these are an example

Not used them just googled for example as I had this style in my previous classic (sp250)

http://www.quickfitsbs.com/seat_belts.php

Edited by Hamish