Problem with Tie rod installation

Hello TR3 gurus:

Yesterday, I took the two tie-rods to insure they have the same length, hence improve the wheel alignment. I had a hell of a time to put the nuts back, as the knobs (the bolt-like members at the tie-rod ends) kept turning as I was tightening the nut. In any case, I managed to tighten them with a lots of effort, but I feel one of the ends knob (if that is the right term), has not fully sat in the accommodating female seat, thus I have some play when I wiggle the wheels. Moreover, one of the nuts has been stripped. I have, therefore, two questions:

1. Is there any trick for installing these tie-rods back? I uninstalled and installed these tie-dos twice in past with no issue. What is the trick to ensure that they are fully-seated (or gone 100% through the female hole/seat )?

2. I live in Canada, and each time I order a part from the US, it takes between 15-20 days to get the parts. Is there any compatible tie-rod or tie-rod ends from a different car that one could obtain from the usual auto part stores and adopt it to TR3s, thus circumvent the wait?

Your comments are much appreciated in advance.

Cheers,

Farid

Edited by Farid

Assuming you are referring to the track rod ends, the trick is to remove all grease etc from the tapered pin & also the hole into which it fits.

Then insert it as far as you can, then tap it down wards with a hammer (not too hard !) this this should lock the tapers together.

Then fit the washer & nut. & tighten.

If you feel it slipping, then repeat the light hammering to re- lock. once the nut gets hard to tighten, then you can be pretty sure the taper is fully in the hole.

Bob.

Yes locking off the tube spacer, lock nuts and ball joints after adjustment is a three handed job.

The male part of the track rod ends are the same size (5/8" unf) but one is LH threaded & one RH threaded - so you can slack the locking nuts, turn the tube spacer and the rod ends will get closer together or further apart , to ease adjustment.

No we never found an 'off the shelf' replacement for sidescreen TR steering track rod ends, from a modern vehicle in UK. The taper is the same size as classic Mini but that is as far as it goes.

Peter W.

PS both inner and outer track rod end can get pushed into place with a lever whilst tightening.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT