I Think I've Broken My Diff....

Kev, as in your case and to my surprise my badly broken diff managed to limp home despite the ghastly noise. I was actually relieved to find it was the diff that broke as it would have been a lot worse had it been the overdrive or gearbox. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Stan

+1 for Hardy engineering.

Roger

Thanks Roger

shit luck Kevo,

still you can fix it, and you got it home,

pink

Cheers Pink

Kev, as in your case and to my surprise my badly broken diff managed to limp home despite the ghastly noise. I was actually relieved to find it was the diff that broke as it would have been a lot worse had it been the overdrive or gearbox. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Stan

Hi Stan thanks, my initial thought was nooo not the gearbox again as I've had it rebuilt 3 times in the last 3 years + sticky clutch problems so I didn't fancy taking it out for the 9th time.

At least the diff is relatively easy to get out, is yours all back together and did you get the Nissan R200 diff upgrade?

think that a tooth come of long befoer this happened,

in fact 2 teeth can come off and still drive

its wen thee,s bits decide t,get stuck bewtween P an CW, then its a nasty mess

it happened to me on the start line 2 years ago

only on this occaision I blew the diff litterally apart,

re built another, put it in, horrible vibration, prop was twisted

spare prop, now a crunchin noise frae GB

GB oot, an 2 teeth off 1,st, and a bent shaft too

If yer goona doo it, may as well doo it right, !!!!

M

Thanks Roger

Cheers Pink

Hi Stan thanks, my initial thought was nooo not the gearbox again as I've had it rebuilt 3 times in the last 3 years + sticky clutch problems so I didn't fancy taking it out for the 9th time.

At least the diff is relatively easy to get out, is yours all back together and did you get the Nissan R200 diff upgrade?

Kev, I did go with the R200 diff and I have all the parts needed to install it. I cleaned it up and painted it and I'm just waiting for a free day so I can install it. Since I retired two years ago I have no free time but I think I can find a day early next week. The Nissan diff is a couple of inches longer but the axles and flanges are twice as big as the TR6 diff and it has zero play and no leaks so it looks like a great replacement.

Stan

Kev, I did go with the R200 diff and I have all the parts needed to install it. I cleaned it up and painted it and I'm just waiting for a free day so I can install it. Since I retired two years ago I have no free time but I think I can find a day early next week. The Nissan diff is a couple of inches longer but the axles and flanges are twice as big as the TR6 diff and it has zero play and no leaks so it looks like a great replacement.

Stan

Sounds good Stan, hope it all goes well for you.

think that a tooth come of long befoer this happened,

in fact 2 teeth can come off and still drive

its wen thee,s bits decide t,get stuck bewtween P an CW, then its a nasty mess

it happened to me on the start line 2 years ago

only on this occaision I blew the diff litterally apart,

re built another, put it in, horrible vibration, prop was twisted

spare prop, now a crunchin noise frae GB

GB oot, an 2 teeth off 1,st, and a bent shaft too

If yer goona doo it, may as well doo it right, !!!!

M

Hi Marcus, I think you're spot on the money there.

• 2 weeks later...

At least you were able to drive it home! When the diff went on my 2.5L GT6, lost teeth on crown and pinion, it jammed solid on the top of a mountain in France, could have been worse it could have happened on the way down.....

When I stripped it down (after 4 weeks waiting for it to be recovered from France to the UK), the oil smelt burnt and I think this was part of the reason for the failure. It was rebuilt diff (9 months old) and had new oil in it.....

The GT6 didn't like me, 3 gearboxes, 2 diff while I owned it, dont think the GT6 drive train is strong enough for the torque from a 2.5L six. I sold it and got a TR6!

mike

At least you were able to drive it home! When the diff went on my 2.5L GT6, lost teeth on crown and pinion, it jammed solid on the top of a mountain in France, could have been worse it could have happened on the way down.....

When I stripped it down (after 4 weeks waiting for it to be recovered from France to the UK), the oil smelt burnt and I think this was part of the reason for the failure. It was rebuilt diff (9 months old) and had new oil in it.....

The GT6 didn't like me, 3 gearboxes, 2 diff while I owned it, dont think the GT6 drive train is strong enough for the torque from a 2.5L six. I sold it and got a TR6!

mike

Hi Mike, yes very lucky the more I think about it.

Picked the rebuilt diff up today, I'll plop it back in tomorrow.

Just been out in the car all day, did about 100 miles around Dorset. Diff feels and sounds good, no drama apart from a squeaky front brake. Easily sorted but there's always something to keep us on our toes.

So far so good.

Diff was rebuilt by Hardy Engineering in Leatherhead, I recommend them and they were very helpful and seem a nice bunch.

Sounds like a good result Kev.

I'm quite near to leatherhead so thats a useful recommendation

Steve

Hello Kevo_6, have a nice motoring journey over this summer.

On my side I enjoyed w/ the Stag and I am not progressing at all on the TR6.... on the agenda for the coming winter !?

Sounds like a good result Kev.

I'm quite near to leatherhead so thats a useful recommendation

Steve

Glad alls good Kevo

Steve.

Hello Kevo_6, have a nice motoring journey over this summer.

On my side I enjoyed w/ the Stag and I am not progressing at all on the TR6.... on the agenda for the coming winter !?

Cheers guys.