I Think I've Broken My Diff....

Hi, hope all that went to the IWE had a great weekend.

For the last 10 days I've been in France with the 6 and everything has been great.

Saturday on the way back to the ferry about 30 kilometers from Cherbourg we were on the dual carriage way doing about 70mph, beautiful day just plopping along and then BANG.

Just felt like something broke on the back end, so I obviously slowed down and pulled in to the next lay by, emptied the boot, jacked it up and had a good look. All looked in tact. At first I thought it was my gearbox again but gear changes and overdrive were working spot on. So my thoughts turned to the diff, anyway I put it all back together and decided to limp on to Cherbourg. Whilst driving along at any sort of load it sounded fine but under any deceleration it was bang, bang, bang, crunch, crunch, crunch.

We managed to get to the ferry and then finally home, fortunately I live about a mile or so from the port.

I have recently had the gearbox upgraded, new Proptech uprated drive shafts and rebalanced prop shaft with new Bastuck hubs.

I got it on the ramps yesterday and had a good look but nothing visibly broken, couldn't do any more yesterday as we had a street party but I was thinking of dropping the diff this afternoon.

My thoughts are that I've lost a tooth, any Ideas gladly received.

When will I be getting some good luck for a change!!!!!

(null)

Edited by Kevo_6

Loose propshaft bolts ?

Maybe broken diff mount.....

Hopefully not diff its self.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Kev,

I had exactly the same problem in 2002.

For some mysterious reason I had forgotten to fit the split pin in the castle nut on the front of the Diff pinion shaft.

Due tp the shape of the gear teeth the pinion is thrust forward when accelerating steady driving.

When slowing down the pinion is thrown rearwards and hit the internals.

Easy fix if nothing else broken. However I got mine replaced due to shortage of time.

Remove propshaft and look at the nut - 'laying loose on the ground'

Roger

Hi Kev.

Oh.... balls!

Absolutely John

Loose propshaft bolts ?

Maybe broken diff mount.....

Hopefully not diff its self.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Conrad, all bolts were tight. Now all off. So far diff mounts etc. good.

Hi Kev,

I had exactly the same problem in 2002.

For some mysterious reason I had forgotten to fit the split pin in the castle nut on the front of the Diff pinion shaft.

Due tp the shape of the gear teeth the pinion is thrust forward when accelerating steady driving.

When slowing down the pinion is thrown rearwards and hit the internals.

Easy fix if nothing else broken. However I got mine replaced due to shortage of time.

Remove propshaft and look at the nut - 'laying loose on the ground'

Roger

Hi Roger, split pin still in. I will drop the diff this afternoon and have a look inside.

Hi Kevo,

I had a similar sounding problem with my old (and recently purchased at the time) TR6 in 2010. Was returning home from the IWE at Malvern and had pulled into Hopwood Park Services for fuel. While accelerating down the slip road and back onto the motorway I heard a loud bang, at which point I naturally dipped the clutch and coasted to a halt. My thoughts being that a driveshaft had failed, but was difficult to see while peering underneath. Ended up getting recovered home and, to my surprise, I was able to reverse the car into the garage under its own power.

Turned out that the diff bolts through the rear casing had been fitted with the rubber cones but no washers on the end – the bolts had pulled through the cones and allowed the diff to float around, which explained the bang. New cones and washers and the issue was resolved. Hopefully your issue is something similarly simple.

Matt

Edited by matt george

Hi Kev,

I had a very similar loud bang from the back of my GT6 last year, though only travelling at about 30mph. The was followed by a lot of rumbling, clicking, crunching etc from the diff area.

At first I hoped it may just be a broken UJ but no such luck.

When I took the diff out and opened the case, one of the teeth had broken off the pinion. I went to Fitchetts for a recon diff with new crown wheel and pinion set. Sorry not to offer a better prognosis.

Nigel

Hi Kevo,

I had a similar sounding problem with my old (and recently purchased at the time) TR6 in 2010. Was returning home from the IWE at Malvern and had pulled into Hopwood Park Services for fuel. While accelerating down the slip road and back onto the motorway I heard a loud bang, at which point I naturally dipped the clutch and coasted to a halt. My thoughts being that a driveshaft had failed, but was difficult to see while peering underneath. Ended up getting recovered home and, to my surprise, I was able to reverse the car into the garage under its own power.

Turned out that the diff bolts through the rear casing had been fitted with the rubber cones but no washers on the end the bolts had pulled through the cones and allowed the diff to float around, which explained the bang. New cones and washers and the issue was resolved. Hopefully your issue is something similarly simple.

Matt

Hi Kev,

I had a very similar loud bang from the back of my GT6 last year, though only travelling at about 30mph. The was followed by a lot of rumbling, clicking, crunching etc from the diff area.

At first I hoped it may just be a broken UJ but no such luck.

When I took the diff out and opened the case, one of the teeth had broken off the pinion. I went to Fitchetts for a recon diff with new crown wheel and pinion set. Sorry not to offer a better prognosis.

Nigel

Hi Matt, not as simple as yours I'm afraid.

Hi Nigel, you are spot on the money. 2 1/2 teeth off the pinion wheel and 1 1/2 teeth off the crown wheel.

My bad luck continues, still looking on the bright side it's another job done. Well shortly hopefully.

Hi Kev,

That's unlucky. Small chassis Triumph diffs are known for dropping teeth but TR diffs are normally much tougher. At least removing/refitting a TR diff is a straightforward job.

Good luck.

Nigel

Yes Denis a noise that's not easily forgotten. I have a very large piece from the pinion with 3 teeth on and several small bits from the crown.

(null)

Hello Kevin

Really sorry to hear about your diff problems - hopefully your enjoying your retirement which gives you the "luxury" of having the time to fix things !

All the very best

Matt

[quote name="Kevo_6" post="539050" timestamp="1500284961"

When will I be getting some good luck for a change!!!!!

(null)

You were doing 70mph, in another country, you manage to get it home under it's own steam.

Now I would consider that that's good luck Kevin. Hope it's soon sorted.

Dave

Hello Kevin

Really sorry to hear about your diff problems - hopefully your enjoying your retirement which gives you the "luxury" of having the time to fix things !

All the very best

Matt

Cheers Matt, yes all going well in my retirement and you are right I have the luxury to fix things more or less straight away. Trouble is I seem to have lots of other things to do, don't know how I had the time to work.

You were doing 70mph, in another country, you manage to get it home under it's own steam.

Now I would consider that that's good luck Kevin. Hope it's soon sorted.

Dave

Ahh Dave you're quite right, we were very fortunate in that regard. Would of been awful if we had to have it recovered and repatriated.

Your bad luck carries on Kevo.

I've had great reports about this company Kevo

Only problem for you is they are in Surrey

https://www.hardyengineering.co.uk

Steve

Hi Steve, hope you are all good. Thanks for the recommendation and Surrey is a lot closer than many others.