Lead replacement fuel additive

Meb,e no so much yer engine, but this is deffo a culprit of pinkin

If yer engines partial to a wee tipple of oil, then it,ll pink

the older the oil, and the hotter the oil is, { esp whenst olde } will cause pink,n even moer

an olde engine I had, pinked bad after aboot 1,000 miles on new oil

and oil was black, indicating alott of blow by

so much so, that at certain rev sites, timing could be retarded 7-9 degs

the older oil got, the wuss it got

So, is yer engine partial to a wee tipple of oil!!

Ohh, ferrocine is banned in quite a few countries, has been for a while noo

and as Peter says, it also is a cause of engine wear

ye will fin that most additives will mek yer plugs show a different colour, mostly a reddish shade

esp moer so, if the stuff is that shade t,start off wid

M

Edited by GT6M

Peter,

Unfortunately no. I bought Millers VSP thinking that, then spotted deposits on my plugs and saw that Ferrocene was listed on the label!

Darren

Hi Darren,

I'm just looking at the bottle of Millers VSPE Power Plus I just bought and I cannot see any mention on it that it contains Ferrocene. Is it the "VSPE" that you have?

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Thanks Darren. Isn't that odd.

I've got a multi-shot bottle, that's actually about 2-3 years old and that doesn't state any contents. I also have a Single Shot bottle that I purchased a couple of weeks back, and that does list contents, but no Ferrocene ...

post-12866-0-50230200-1500808517_thumb.jpg

post-12866-0-73662600-1500808587_thumb.jpg

Did you buy yours from one of the usual suppliers?

Edited by TR5tar

Thanks Darren. Isn't that odd.

I've got a multi-shot bottle, that's actually about 2-3 years old and that doesn't state any contents. I also have a Single Shot bottle that I purchased a couple of weeks back, and that does list contents, but no Ferrocene ...

attachicon.gifMS.JPG

attachicon.gifSS.JPG

Did you buy yours from one of the usual suppliers?

Yes I got it from Opie Oils and bought it because I thought it didn't contain Ferrocene - obviously wasted my money!

I'm about to fit an unleaded head anyway so its somewhat academic now.

This is the manganese compound that used to be in VSP Plus as an octane booster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylcyclopentadienyl_manganese_tricarbonyl

(apparentyl still used in Canadian pump fuel) Safety wise it doesn't look especially nasty, except when neat.

The potassium listed on the label is used to protect valve seats.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Quite art form bore wear ferrocene as iron particles in the exhaust may not be benign. Iron particles derived form normal ring/bore wear and a from disc brakes are being discovered in our brains, and are suggested as a trigger for Alzheimer's disease:

https://theconversation.com/how-we-discovered-a-possible-link-between-car-exhausts-and-alzheimers-64779

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-culprit-hidden-plain-sight-alzheimer.html

-around 100,000 nanoparticles in 1 cc of brain.

Adding ferrocene-derived iron particles to the exhaust may not be ideal.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I have yet to hear of one case of valve seat recession in TR6 despite asking on here several times. The FBHVC VSR tests used IIRC a 1000cc engine run at 4000rpm full throttle for many hours. Anyone who drives a 6 on the road like that will have more to worry about than VSR !

Peter

Hi Peter

quite right they used the "A" series which was notorious for VSR.

Iain

whilst I accept that valve seat recession isn't an issue with the sort of mileage that we subject our cars to, I do get p****d off with the fuel deteriorating.

Is Tetraboost as good as the say it is at preventing this happening and is there any way of buying it to try without having to commit to buying a case of it?

Rgds Ian

Fuel deterioration is interesting, a friend of mine runs a very busy petrol forecourt, on a 5000 gallon order they loose 50 gallons.......1%. This is due to evaporation of the volatile components, which they have to try to account for........

Apparently Super Unleaded is sent out as 105RON to allow for this loss in transport.... :o what a pity it is rubbish after a matter of weeks. :(

Iain

Edited by iain

Its amost certianly iso-butane bubbling off in the tank. Iso-butane is a gas at room temerature and has 110RON so the octane will drop, as will the volume.

Yes rubbish. But modern engines simply retard the spark to kill knock so we dont see pistons getting destroyed through lack of RON.

Myself I'm going for water injection and 95RON, about 105RON combined.

BMW has developed a wi system recently.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/07/02/bmw-1-series-with-direct-water-injection-first-drive/

If that catches on the days of 'high octane' pump fuels wil be numbered.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

whilst I accept that valve seat recession isn't an issue with the sort of mileage that we subject our cars to, I do get p****d off with the fuel deteriorating.

Is Tetraboost as good as the say it is at preventing this happening and is there any way of buying it to try without having to commit to buying a case of it?

Rgds Ian

Classic Oils will sell you one can for £23.95 incl VAT

Did you get a reply?

They were very quick to reply. My contact in the technical department stated that VSPe Power Plus does contain Ferrocene for its octane boosting properties. In reply, I said that it was not stated as part of the contents on the bottles I had and asked why and if it was a recent addition. Contact came back to say that it has been used in the product for at least 10 years. I then pressed him again about why it was not listed on earlier bottles and he said that that was down to the marketing department.

I can only think that some law must have changed recently to compel them to list it!

I'm going to see how mine runs without it and look at some of the other options.

Cheers, Darren

They were very quick to reply. My contact in the technical department stated that VSPe Power Plus does contain Ferrocene for its octane boosting properties. In reply, I said that it was not stated as part of the contents on the bottles I had and asked why and if it was a recent addition. Contact came back to say that it has been used in the product for at least 10 years. I then pressed him again about why it was not listed on earlier bottles and he said that that was down to the marketing department.

I can only think that some law must have changed recently to compel them to list it!

I'm going to see how mine runs without it and look at some of the other options.

Cheers, Darren

Thanks for the update. I wonder what non Ferrocene alternatives there are now?

Just as well I'm changing my head then!

Cheers Darren

Hi Guys,

Not sure if the following anecdote is relevant to the current discussion but a couple of weeks ago I attended an after hours behind the scenes visit to Beaulieu Motor Museum - very interesting if you've never been before. While talking to one of the mechanics in their restortation workshop he pulled out a bottle of Lucas Fuel Stabiliser and Conditioner, otherwise referred to by him as an Ethanol Buster. Apparently they use it in all their petrol driven vehicles as a fuel additive.

He advised that it should be used in all classic vehicles that use traditional carburretors as it apparently protects their metal parts and stabilises the ethanol fuel. He also said they only ever use super grade fuel for the same reasons.

I'd never heard of this product before - but searching ebay it sells for around £9 -310 a 500ml bottle. Has anyone heard of this stuff and is it any use for protecting our TRs?

Cheers,

JeffR

Hi Guys,

Not sure if the following anecdote is relevant to the current discussion but a couple of weeks ago I attended an after hours behind the scenes visit to Beaulieu Motor Museum - very interesting if you've never been before. While talking to one of the mechanics in their restortation workshop he pulled out a bottle of Lucas Fuel Stabiliser and Conditioner, otherwise referred to by him as an Ethanol Buster. Apparently they use it in all their petrol driven vehicles as a fuel additive.

He advised that it should be used in all classic vehicles that use traditional carburretors as it apparently protects their metal parts and stabilises the ethanol fuel. He also said they only ever use super grade fuel for the same reasons.

I'd never heard of this product before - but searching ebay it sells for around £9 -310 a 500ml bottle. Has anyone heard of this stuff and is it any use for protecting our TRs?

Cheers,

JeffR

Thanks Jeff, i think Millers do something similar called EPS, but I'm a bit wary now. We need to check exactly whats in these things first. I guess the Museum must be a pretty good endorsement though.

Darren

Thanks Jeff, i think Millers do something similar called EPS, but I'm a bit wary now. We need to check exactly whats in these things first. I guess the Museum must be a pretty good endorsement though.

Darren

Found it on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-Ethanol-Safeguard-Fuel-Conditioner-Treatment-473ml-/282086315068?epid=2085815206&hash=item41ada7943c:g:W80AAOSwGvhT27bR

One bottle treats 80 gallons which seems pretty good.