TR6 hard top refurbish

Waldi,

They are one piece items on my hardtop and I can assure you that they are original and came with the NOS hardtop kit that I got from one of the Triumph Dealers many many years ago when they were getting rid of their Triumph stock. I took this one off to photograph and its now back on the car

cheers

Derek

1986091454_hardtopseal.thumb.jpg.e52e9be5dce37b4c46a9c57fd4214f13.jpgnow back on the161428874_hardtopseal2.thumb.jpg.cb99ca6028399287a71f2d6aa3c85f70.jpg

Edited by saffrontr
typo

Thanks for your effort Derek,
I was not clear. With “one-piece item” I meant not-cut & glued, so one lenght of rubber with a bend in the corner, as shown in the Moss catalogue.

I have made the 45degree cuts, but it is not good enough to glue them together. Maybe I have to use a disc grinder to carefully make a sharper cut.

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

Its not glued but more like its been plastic welded by the factory supplier. Glue should work and on one of mine the corner is starting to split so I will be trying a spot of glue or superglue on it.

Derek

Hi Peter,
I wondered why it was shown (drawn) as a single item, not with a sharp corner from 2 halves welded/glued together. Hence my ask. The corner pieces are not shown on the diagrams.

I think both methods will give an acceptable result but the 2-piece solution looks nicer to me.

On a side note:
The first supplier send me a length of door seal, but with the fibres glued on poorly and it chipped off easily, so I sent these back and a 2nd supplier sent me a much better quality item, but again just a length of door seal.

Cheers,
Waldi

Can you still obtain the seal with the same rubber profile & fur flex as Derek & Waldi’s as mine was 2piece with a metal corner piece but the rubber is the tube type as in the door seals .I couldn’t get a satisfactory joint cutting this.     Chris

Hi Chris,

I ordered the rubber from Revington, good quality. Another supplier delivered a low-quality item where the “fur” consisted of just glued-on “fibres” that came off easily. I had to make the cut myself, it does not look nice. I will try to improve it and get a narrower parallel gap. Think I will use a grinder for this (very slowly/carefully).

Waldi