Hello All,

Were all TR5 & 250 fitted with painted ( the same colour of the car ) top wing mouldings. I always thought that they were. I have seen CP 2 today & the mouldings were not painted, speaking to the dealer who owns the car he said that the early cars mouldings were not painted.

Can anyone confirm either way.

Cheers Peter

I think that all the mainstream production came painted.

However, several period photos I looked at long ago suggested that at least some prototypes had plain beading as opposed to painted.

The kind of small detail that might typically evolve between prototype and production.

Cheers,

Alec

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies to my question about top wing mouldings. I have had a chat to Roger Ferris& he says that all TR5 & 250s had their top wing mouldings painted the body colour when being built.

I saw a photo of CP2 when being shown as a show car & the mouldings were painted the same body colour of the car.

Cheers

Peter

look at the 5 on Andrews post - painted.

post-6243-0-14355100-1500468155_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies to my question about top wing mouldings. I have had a chat to Roger Ferris& he says that all TR5 & 250s had their top wing mouldings painted the body colour when being built.

I saw a photo of CP2 when being shown as a show car & the mouldings were painted the same body colour of the car.

Cheers

Peter

Sorry to disagree but my history of my TR5 bought in 1973 at five years old, now owned for 45 years had rust coming through the wings and did not have painted wing beads. Photo taken that year.

Dennis Hobbs

Hi,

Like Dennis Hobbs, bought my 5 in October 1974 and it was rusting in rear nearside wing. It had (and still does have) unpainted wing beads. I can't say it was supplied with them unpainted but it does seem odd that a previous owner would go to all the trouble and cost of either stripping or changing the wing beads.

To me it has always seemed strange that Triumph went to the additional cost of having the wing beads pressed from stainless (matching the other side trims) if the intention was to paint them.

Later It occurred to me that as at least some of the publicity photographs show cars with unpainted beads that when the customer received their new car and found them painted that they persuaded the dealer to change them FOC.

Peter

Everything I've read on the subject says that the beads were painted body colour, and that's what I have on mine. As the 5 was a stopgap, I guess Triumph were thinking of ways in which it could be made to look a bit different to the 4A, and in the end it came down to the badges and trim. In some respects I prefer the trim and the individual letter badge layout on the 4A. Perhaps, as Peter says above, some of the original buyers asked the dealer to change the beading to the bare metal type, or maybe the occasional one left the factory with bare metal beading fitted by mistake. However, I think it's most likely that most if not all have had the bare metal beading fitted as part of a restoration.

It does make me smile sometimes when people get hung up on these details. I occasionally have other 5 owners tell me that the metal door strips on my 5 are upside down (i.e the right hand side one should be on the left door and vice versa). I know that those that have told me this are correct and I will change them around at some point, but typically those that delight in telling me have non-standard seats (as do I) and various other non standard parts. I think if the car is a survivor or being made as original as possible, then these details are important. For the rest of us, it just comes down to taste.

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Just to be aware . If your trims are on the wrong side they could well have cut into the paint by the hump in the door, should you decide to correct them.Made this mistake myself back in the eighties. Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll look out for that. Knowing what I'm like, I won't get around to it for a year or two anyway!