Black painted sills

A quick question, did all TR6's have black painted sills, Thanks Gordon

This is the rocker panel coating:

3M Body Schutz Rubberized Coating Black

Google it for nearest supplier.

Edited by Sapphire72

Yes, but many painters forget to apply the black stone-chip coating to the Sills (why do Americans call them 'Rockers'? They don't Rock!) when they repaint TR's which always makes the car profile look too deep.

My cars painter way back in 1988 thought he was being helpful adding the Black stone-chip to the bottom of the rear wings (why do 'we' call them 'Wings'? it doesn't fly!) and the lower rear valance under the back bumper! I had to strip all that off again!

And yes, that's correct early TR6's like my Aug 1969 car came with body coloured windscreen (American's say 'Wind SHIELD' which actually is a more accurate term!) surround (just like all the earlier TR5 & TR4's before it).

I just happened to call in on my paint shop as the painter was about to paint my windscreen surround black! We had quite an argument about it! Sadly he had already done the stone chip black to the above mentioned!

500001? Nah!!! that's far too many Zeros !

Me too!

So 25,000 TR6's had self coloured Windshield frames, as commission numbers started at 25,001.

Gents

Liking the 'stone chip sills' look.

Just ordered the products, need to get down the supermarket now for a big handfull of free local newspapers!!

Q. Do the sill trim strips just prise/pop off the fixings?

(I'd like the join line to be hidden)

:)

Gents

Liking the 'stone chip sills' look.

Just ordered the products, need to get down the supermarket now for a big handfull of free local newspapers!!

Q. Do the sill trim strips just prise/pop off the fixings?

(I'd like the join line to be hidden)

:)

Yes but you need to take care as they Damage easily.

So 25,000 TR6's had self coloured Windshield frames, as commission numbers started at 25,001.

Actually only 8,983 Triumph TR6 1969 model units were produced during their initial 15 month production period between September '68 and December '69.

7,140 CC Carburetter model cars and 1,843 CP PI models.

Only 5% or 380 of the '69 model CC TR6's still exist currently either running or owner identified as viable VOR restoration projects. I don't keep a record nor spend the time tracking down the remaining existing '69 CP PI cars purely due to personal lack of interest since I don't own one. B)

Listen to me now and believe me later... Keep 'em on the road! :)

Edited by Case

Case,

I would be interested to know where your statistics came from? There were 1995 x 1969 model PI TR6 built - CP25002 to CP26998 less 2 converted to 1970 models for the 1969 Earls Court Motor Show and over the years we have had 85 x 1969 Carburettor TR6 in the TR Register which were registered in the UK so presumably your figure of 380 is for the USA only?

cheers

Derek

About what is what, I must say my 1970 TR6 has all the specifications of a 69 car. The car was assembled in the first or second month of 1970 in Belgium and must have left the factory in

parts end 1969. In so far it's a 69 car counted in the 1970 batch.

But who cares.. :)

p.s. first registered on 09.04.1970 in the G.D. of Luxemburg.

I CARE! These stats are important to get right, as may not affect the driving, but it does affect the heritage! After a while everyone is an expert and the correct details of future restorations are lost!

Yes Denis, this cars are not Bugatti's and sell for less than half the price invested. In 55 years of driving TR's I havenot met a single person interested in heritage.In the U.S. they are piled up in junkyards meters high.

In my opinion heritage value of a TR6 is the same as for a 40 year old Miele tumble dryer

Anyhow if my son is not taking over my 6 it's going to the crusher.

p.s. As a little boy I had my first driving, call it steering experience in a Bugatti, and later on it also went to the scrapyard