MX5 Seats …..will they fit ?

Having done our first trip of reasonable distance in UOV, travelling to the IWE, I think we may be looking for some seating upgrades. For a number of years I have coveted a set of Darryl's bucket seats for BUO (TR6). I know they don't recline but they are SO comfortable, every IWE for the past 2/3 years I have made my pilgrimage to the Racestorations stand to look, feel and sit in those leather clad beauties. In fact this year the LHC was actually going to buy a set for OUV (TR3) until she realised the price was EACH……. PLUS subframes and not for a pair ready to fit !

…………….Back to reality anybody know if MX5 Mk2's will fit in a 3?

Edited by Graham

Graham

There were at least two 3A's with Mazda seats at IWE this weekend. It should be doable although a tight fit I was told. Someone who knows the details will no doubt be along soon.

Miles

Well I did it the other way round !

Went to the IWE with no intention of purchasing anything expensive - especially seats.

Then I had a sit in Ben & Vick's car, & was immediately convinced that I needed some the same.

Yep - Racetorations ones. Now on order.

I will have to make my own mounting plates for them though, as Gainsborough is a bit far from me

to have them made & fitted.

(& it was good to catch up with Darryl after around 42 years)

Bob.

I have to admit, they really were worth the expense! They are supremely comfortable and make you feel at one with the car, without feeling restricted. Darryl even went to the effort of taking samples of our trim (red) and tonneau (cream) to match the colour of the leather to.

I get bad siatica and back pain if the seat is not right and I can sit/sleep for hours and hours in these, they are a joy.

Bob, just think how happy your botty will be (and your wife's!!). :):)

Vicky.x

Graham

Yes they do fit. I installed a pair six weeks ago. " She who must be obeyed " has found them extremely comfortable a great improvement on the standard seats. I drove to Malvern for the IWE and felt as fresh as a daisy.

I fully accept they are a tight fit,but fit they do and it is well worth the change.

You can get adapted runners from TR Trader and the seats merely bolt on to them and use the existing holes in the floor pan as the original seats. Restorations seats are good but the price does not compare with a set of MX5 seats even after the cost of recovering them.

From my experience I can only say go for it.

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Can you adjust the seats to give a proper seating podition .... fore and aft

Thsnks

T

Graham

Yes they do fit. I installed a pair six weeks ago. " She who must be obeyed " has found them extremely comfortable a great improvement on the standard seats. I drove to Malvern for the IWE and felt as fresh as a daisy.

I fully accept they are a tight fit,but fit they do and it is well worth the change.

You can get adapted runners from TR Trader and the seats merely bolt on to them and use the existing holes in the floor pan as the original seats. Restorations seats are good but the price does not compare with a set of MX5 seats even after the cost of recovering them.

From my experience I can only say go for it.

Cheers

Gordon

Gordon does the finished installation alter the height of the seat squab at all ? I'm quite tall so wouldn't want it any higher and the LHC is quite a bit shorter so wouldn't want to go much lower

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham & Tonyloz

Graham....... I have just measured the seats in the car and the front of the seat is 18cm, the rear 10cm. The original seats when measured with the runners in place are, front 20cm, rear 12cm. I have a friend who has a MK2 MX5 and is 6'4" tall. He has told me you can adapt the seat foam by shaving up to 2" off the base to lower the height which he has done in his car so his head does not brush the roof when up.Hope this helps.

Tonyloz........The seats run forward and rearwards on the adapted runners. The rear of both the seats adjust for the rake from bolt upright to 40/45 degrees. Again I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Graham & Tonyloz

Graham....... I have just measured the seats in the car and the front of the seat is 18cm, the rear 10cm. The original seats when measured with the runners in place are, front 20cm, rear 12cm. I have a friend who has a MK2 MX5 and is 6'4" tall. He has told me you can adapt the seat foam by shaving up to 2" off the base to lower the height which he has done in his car so his head does not brush the roof when up.Hope this helps.

Tonyloz........The seats run forward and rearwards on the adapted runners. The rear of both the seats adjust for the rake from bolt upright to 40/45 degrees. Again I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gordon

Many thanks Gordon will give Karl a ring and get a set of brackets

Thanks Gordon

Good to know they will fit

Had a pair in the 6 and they transformed it...evan looked right

Tony