On going poor running

Well a few months ago my five started to miss after around 10/15 miles of running,starting with a slight miss to running like a bag of hammers to total standstill.Wait 5/10 mins and would start as normal for around 5 mins then back to standstill.Change plugs ,leads ,dizzy cap,rotor arm,fuel filter,new electronic ignition fitted 12 months previous.No change! Removed fuel pump and checked pressure,35 lbs only,,,,BINGO! New fancy Bosch outfit from Rimmers fitted this afternoon,WOW!!!! What a difference! I actually thought someone had fitted a Hemy or something like,I've never known it go like that,the difference was unbelievable,,,,,,,,, until about 10/15 miles! Started with a slight miss then Yada,yada,Yada!!! So!!! Where do I go from here, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Did you allow fuel to run from feed pipe when pump was disconnected? Was there a very good flow?

If the flow to the pump is poor through the pre-filter and perhaps a kinked pipe then the pump struggles and gets hot quickly. Perhaps that is what killed the original pump, and you have installed the new pump with the same issue.

Bosch pump has not much "suck" and needs a very, very good fuel flow to keep up with the output volume of the pump.

Yes electrics can, and often do, have heat faults but then your car would have two faults when the pump failed, both occurring after 10-15 minutes.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Red rotor arm (Dizzy Doc I hope) If you have an after market one with a rivet in it.That will cause the issue you are getting

Try going back to points to at least to eliminate a faulty electronic ignition.

PRV pressure ok ? Should be around 105psi.

Regards Harry

Sounds like a problem I had with my TR6 a few years ago. Eventually in exasperation I ripped the whole fuel system apart and it turned out to be a washer in the fuel tank periodically blocking the outlet.

Best of luck

John

Thanks for all of your suggestions,During the course of the the problem,I've had the tank off and found its in pristine condition but I've updated the fuel pipe size while it was off just in case.roy53 has had my mind buzzing overnight with his suggestion about the fuel cap ,as I had not that long ago fitted a new seal,which did seem a tad thicker thus making the lid that little bit harder to close.Could it be THAT simple!! Well I'll try it during the course of the day and will report back this evening. Again,many thanks!

Had a run out with petrol cap open today ! No change! Phone Dizzy Doctor explained the symptoms to him and he's almost sure it rotoritise,so two new rotor arms winging their way as we speak.Im off the Manchester then South Molton so it will be next week before I report the outcome.Again,I would thank you for the help given.

I am now one Doctor Dizzy Disciple! What a difference a new Bosch pump plus trusty Red Rotor Arm has made to the Little Red Rooster.If in future the Doc needs an organ transplant, God forbid,I've told him that I would have no objection to the wife helping out.

Once again thanks for all the help Gents!

Edited by Ur1328
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes rotor arms are a pain but why not carry a spare after all?

It's not like carrying a spare gearbox...

I must be out of touch though.

Who is Doctor dizzy?

Distributor Doctor (Martin Jay) http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Stuart.

I've always carried spare plugs,leads, dizzy cap,hoses and rotor arms since purchasing the car,but apparently all of the rotor arms have been substandard! That is until my new bestest friend Dizzy Doc sold me his finest of wares .