6" steel wheels, OE style

Hi,

the OE steel wheels of my TR6 are a bit out of round and generate unpleasant vibrations in the steering between 70 and 75 mph and above 95 mph.

I like the period looks of the steelies and am reluctant to change to Minilite's.

So I am looking into the 6" repros offered by Moss etc?

Question:

Is quality ok, or do they go together with the usual repro crap, manufactured in a low cost country but sold at a premium price, and finally performing worse than 45 year old worn out OE parts?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Patrick

Edited by roulli

Hello Roulli, I am still running my original rims, but the spare is a problem. I had the good ones refurbished at Bannings in Birmingham (pretty well underneath Spaghetti Junction), and they look really good. I was told there is a company in Sheffield who can correct mis-shapes in steel rims - I cannot remember the name, but Bannings probably know. Good luck. Austin

@Austin,

I took my rims to a "reshaper" here in Luxembourg, prior refurbishing them some years ago. They said they couldn't get the shape right...

Probably not the best shop for that...

@ Peter

thanks a lot for that link. I didn't know these rims were remanufactured in UK. That's a good starting point.

I would still be interested to hear someones feedback about these specific wheels.

I will contact Wellerwheels.

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick,

The Moss wheels are made by Weller. Best of luck going to Weller direct, when I tried last year they only make to order in big batches for the likes of Moss and no doubt other suppliers.

cheers

Derek

Derek,

Weller wheels do have currently an online shop, where one may buy 1 wheel.

But they ask 160,-£ shipping costs to send one set to Europe. That's a bit insane.

Did you finally buy a set from Moss, and do they run true?

Patrick

Derek,

Weller wheels do have currently an online shop, where one may buy 1 wheel.

But they ask 160,-£ shipping costs to send one set to Europe. That's a bit insane.

Did you finally buy a set from Moss, and do they run true?

Patrick

Bravo Weller!!!

Clearly not a bunch of market spoilers.

If a company such as Moss, who cater world wide with a full range of stocked classic car spares, decide to place a volume order for 100+ wheels and stock them, it is not commercially ethical to drop the same product out on the retail market one at a time at close to same price.

If you do, then do not be surprised if the likes of Moss lose you as a supplier or better still tool up one of your key products and drop that into your retail market at or near your best trade price.

Peter W

Assuming the Moss wheels are still Weller, its good to see them suppling the products of an established uk brand, rather than just using the cheapest option they can find in the far east. Here's hoping they are still made here and of the quality that made them a well know name when i was involved in rallying in the late 80's and 90's.

Keith