TR5 Petrol Injection

My TR5 won't start. It will fire and run roughly for a few seconds, then die. Until now, it has taken a few attempts, run 'lumpily' for a minute or so, then cleared and run normally with no power-deficiency. I think it's an injection problem but would welcome any insights.

Also, can anyone recommend a good company who know the Lucas/Triumph PI system?

Hi Rick,

welcome to the forum

where abouts are you. (I'm sure all that personal info wasn't there yesterday !!)

Enginuity in West London are good with PI and engine work.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Rick, and welcome to the forum...

Has the problem recent manifested itself? How old are the PI components since last overhauled? It may be prudent if you can check if the pump is pushing sufficient pressure to the metering unit if you are able. Have you check ignition timing (has the dizzy moved to put the timing out?

Although no expert, I would be prepared to assist if I can as I'm not too far from you (about 60 miles or so?) and have a few bits/tools.

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick

Before you rush of on repairs.

First things first if your not practical as pressure checking requires a T fitting and meter.

First put your hand on the pump, Is it Bosch or Lucas?

Then if its turning.

Just get a glass jar and a fire extinguisher and whip out an injector and put it in a jar and turn the car over on the starter, see if its spraying a cone of fuel.

You can also do this with the car running a moment hence the extinguisher.

If you can keep it running or even on starter, try to pinch each injector hose and feel for a beat.

If its beating then its should start fuel wise.

If you have fuel then really it would be good to try and start here up and repeat.

You should also try to see if there is any reason the fuel might have trouble getting to the metering unit at full whack?

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum....and TRPI ownership.

It might be dying due to way over-rich mixture. Two easy checks:

The tongue test:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=34963&st=0&p=261520&hl=tongue&&do=findComment&comment=261520

Check the outer cable of the choke cable at the Metering Unit has not jumped forward of the clip. That stops the MU choke lever returning to off.

Malcolm Jones at Prestige Injection:

http://www.prestigeinjection.net/

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

If original wiring check volt drop at pump,if more than .5v run wires directly

from battery to see if problem cured, if so re-wire pump via relay with 27.5 amp

wire using original wire to activate the relay.

Harvey S.Maitland

Might just be fouled plugs from using the choke too much - PI's only need "just enough" choke once started and need a good blast and warm up on a regular basis to prevent plug fouling. They are not modern fool proof EFI cars - you need to learn their quirks and then they are very reliable

I think this recent advise on plugs is quite right. But my Tr5 was using a TR6 metering unit so it was rich at low idle and plugs were black each time I looked, Still fired up first time even after 6 months standstill.

But I agree whole heartedly with MK1 PI.

But they did stand traffic in the old days, my dad drove his new 1970 TR6 into London town centre traffic for work each day for 10 years, but nothing beats a weekly blast.

It it was fuel it would be a bugger all the way, missfiring and such. But again check for weak beats on the injectors, that the pump is running sound and particularly for any leaks.

You could also get yourself a couple of colour tunes too and stick them in N°2 and 5 to start, I even know someone who used 6 at once...