Hi

I bought a jack and handle from RimmerBros and today I had my first chance to use it. I couldn't work it out and assumed it was for a different car. but looking at the package it does say tr2-tr4. So?...

It is like #3 and #4in this page (top left corner)

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/37368446/production-data-83-nostalgic-british-cars/43

How do you use it?

Camilo

Camilo - Remove the 10 cm black rubber plug on the floor under the carpet. You may have to slide the seat towards the rear to do this. Once the rubber plug is removed, put the round base of the jack down into this hole and make sure it is held solid on the garage floor or a gravel road. Engage the hook, located about mid-way up the jack into the hole in the main frame provided for this jack and turn the large key that comes with the jack.. If you don't have this "key", improvise with a suitable wrench that fits the hexagon top on the jack.

You can lift one whole side of the TR using this jack. I think it works great. But be careful. I once bought a replacement jack and this mid-hook was made of such soft steel, it just bent and wouldn't lift the TR. So I took my MIG welder and beefed it up so it would lift the TR as specified.

So I took my MIG welder

Is that the Russian fighter jet?

Thank you very much, It only came to prove that I'm not very smart! A jack that works from the middle of the car! Why did I not think of that?!!!

Edited by qim
The design allows you to jack up the car in the rain/snow without getting even more wet.

Now, that was foresight, especially in a country like the UK where the sun never stops shining!...

Shame they did not think of a way of changing the tyre without getting out of the car.

Edited by qim

Having used this jack on my TR2 in the early 1960s, I recollect it was hard work as the leverage available on the handle is rather limited when one is trying to lift the whole of one side of the car - even when not sitting in the car.

Thereafter, I used a very small hydraulic bottle jack, which I have still.

As the jack has quite a small foot and it imposes a considerable force on the surface beneath, it's a good idea to carry a flat metal plate to avoid the foot sinking into the ground.

Ian Cornish