Starting / ignition / starter motor problem?

Hi all, I've been absent for a while but then my TR4A has been reliable - until now that is. I dropped my son at cricket, came back, parked outside the garage, switched off the ignition, opened the garage doors and turned the key to start the engine and nothing. Well, a click noise but the engine didn't fire into life. Ignition switch feels OK, red light comes on, goes a bit faint when I turn to position 3. I think it could be the ignition switch or the solenoid on my WOSP hi-torque starter motor. Any ideas anyone?

Have you checked the battery volts. A battery cell can die in front of your eyes.

The Ig switch could go duff. To test - Run a wire from the battery to the solenoid (in parallel with the white/red wire to turn the engine over.

The Wasp in-built solenoid can go duff.

Roger

I have 12V at the battery terminals. I'll check Ignition switch as Roger suggests. If not the switch, how do I unjam the starter motor? Hit with a copper hammer?

I have 12V at the battery terminals. I'll check Ignition switch as Roger suggests. If not the switch, how do I unjam the starter motor? Hit with a copper hammer?

You might well have 12v on battery when unloaded, its what you have when loaded that matters. Put the headlights on and then try . If the lights go out/dim appreciably then your battery is not charged or is duff. Try recharging and check terminals and earth connections to body/engine.

You can could also try manually operating the solenoid to eliminate the possibility of ignition switch failure. Just press the rubber dome on the solenoid in,

Mike

Well, Rog and Mike were right. Although I recharged the battery using an Optimate 6 smart charger and it showed 12V on the multimeter, it didn't have enough grunt (Amps) to make any difference. I bought a classic Lincon battery (model 291/11 - a thing of beauty, only company in the UK still making batteries) delivered dry, filled with acid supplied and charged in 3-4 hours using the same Optimate charger - bingo! All is well with the world. Thanks to all.