'Freewheeling' in Overdrive (A Type)

My overdrive has stopped working in any gear - relays click when column switch is operated in 2 3 or 4 gear. Does not appear to leak oil and was recently topped up. It has tried to engage and it seems to get stuck between Overdrive and non-overdrive. When this happens when cruising and I take my foot of the throttle I can see the revs slowly dying whilst the speed remains much the same - much like freewheeling. Any ideas what could cause this - is it going to be an overdrive strip down?

• 5 years later...

I assume the oil level is correct, personally I'd check it again. If you have a type A -check the operating lever on the side of the O/D is moving and properly adjusted. Note you should hear clicks from two relays when you engage the O/D- one from the passenger side of the engine bay and one from the O/D solenoid.

I had this once as I went into an underpass on the Brussels ring road. I went into overdrive and nothing no drive ar all I came out of overdrive still nothing, we ended up almost at a stop in the bottom of the underpass and the drive returned and we got going again with traffic swerving around us.

I tried the overdrive again on a quiet side road and no problem. I never did get to the bottom of it as I sold the car shortly after.

George 

Sounds like the overdrive face on the cone clutch is slipping so the drive will continue at 1:1 through the uni directional clutch but freewheel on the overrun.

Edited by Drewmotty