Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Thank you, kind Sir!

I'm making ARB brackets for the Other Project, like this

IMG_20201003_220605[1].jpg

John

can I ask why you went with poly bush and not just the Ali blocks. 
ive fitted split Ali blocks to my 3a. Wondering it this is wrong. 
they were bought for the purpose. But need “relieving” to allow free rotation. 

63ABDFF6-C0BB-41F2-8F49-73AC83B60ED0.jpeg

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

TR6 clamps with Superpro bushes fitted are pretty good and cheap. 
The chassis probably flexes more than the ARB mountings. 

I’ve seen ARBs badly worn when using the common poly pipe clamps supplied by most of the suppliers. 

Hi Hamish,

don't panic (just yet)

The ARB is not spinning around; it is more of a flexing movement. So the Ali block should last a considerable time.

Because the ARB is not moving any great amount you do not need a proper rotating bearing surface (the Ali would be very bad for that;  as would the poly) the poly/rubber bush will flex more than the ARB can exert.

Because of this the poly/rubber can be clamped on tightish.

The Ali would not like this, as you found, so you may get some noise from the Ali bush.

Roger

Thanks Roger

i was hoping that the small angle of rotation wouldn’t be an issue for the ali

but I’ll stop the thread drift now. 

The range of rotation won’t be large but the movement will be frequent and repetitive every time the suspension goes up and down with undulations in the road and when cornering. With with nothing to prevent ingress of dirt/debris will act as abrasive so the blocks may not last as long as you might wish.

My Vitesse has bare Aluminium mounts for the front ARB.   I found that for free movement, they needed to be greased, so I added a grease point and nipple.   I'd recommend that to Hamish - easily done, drill a hole in the top block, tap it and add a zerk!

9 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

. With with nothing to prevent ingress of dirt/debris will act as abrasive so the blocks may not last as long as you might wish.

Yes that is a very good point.

Grit is very abrasive and hard. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that on racing bikes with an Ali front chain wheel it relies on grit getting into the teeth of the wheel to give it its durable surface.

Roger

34 minutes ago, keithm said:

How about this

Imperial one end, metric the otherimage.png.d074549054ed664238cfd827a5175e99.png

I struggled to find an imperial one let alone a double header. 

This is one I modified a couple of weeks ago .. it is my non-adjustable spanner.

P1370234.thumb.JPG.764c9970e882e3bb22767a357b0112ff.JPG

^ This old but high quality adjustable spanner was rusted up and broken (it came from the skip at the marina).  For the job I was doing (..rebuilding the front forks on my Sunbeam motorcycle) I needed an inch-and-five-eight across the flats.  All my other open-spanners and adjustables only went upto an inch-and-a-half  ..so this one I opened to an inch-and-five-eight and welded it there.

P1370237.thumb.JPG.a2976ecfc81c3c4720433826150af49c.JPG

The fit was so good that I had to ease it a few thou' to get it all the way on to those nuts. These fork-stanchion nuts need to be extremely tight so I was glad to have a high quality (fixed-jaw) tool that I could use a lever-arm extension with.  The modified tool is now labeled to remind me of its size & use, and of course is saved in my special tools box.

Pete.  

Edited by Bfg

I never throw away any old tools - I inherited Imperial tools (mainly Whitworth, used on the 3-litre Bentley) from my Uncle, and Maddy has quite a collection inherited from her Dad.

And I keep old bits of metal, wood, plastics etc. - it's surprising how little I need to buy when undertaking jobs!  My son refers to my garage as B&Q - but it's better than that!  One learns how to modify such things in order to make them useful - as did Pete (above).

Ian Cornish

4 hours ago, keithm said:

How about this

Imperial one end, metric the otherimage.png.d074549054ed664238cfd827a5175e99.png

Hello All

How do you which end is which? I do not want to round off my Nuts!!!!

But then its a plumbing tool!

Allow me to show you my favorite tools, my "Knipex" (german trademark) pliers.

They are all adjustable (not the two right on the photo) by pressing a gnob against a spring plate.

P1180762-b.JPG.fb3834c0f775b15ac483cfaa4f29bfb1.JPG

Pushing / turning them on the upper leaver they grab whatever more tight the more torque you give on the leaver.

My most favorites among them are the 3 left on the photo , the "Armaturenzange" or "Zangenschlüssel".

They do not mark the items you want to turn and they are very usefull to bend little thing.

Buy any of those pliers, and in 50 years, when we are all gone long time,

your grandchildren will laud you how wise you have been to buy it for them in 2020!

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

The §$%&@@! problem with the standard adjustable spanner is: the mouth gets wider under torque!

With the adjsutable Knipex pliers this is completely different. This is why I would get the job with "Kusshand".

Edited by Z320

Been around a long time and are not unique to Knippex. 

I know them as the Chapman Tiger Lock Wrench and they were part of the Snap-On tools inventory in the 1970's

The Tiger Lock is more like an adjustable spanner & not a 'grauncher'

image.png.a5b4e388f0c57de9b9a4d206455cbfea.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Special about Knipex is to adjust their pliers by a gnob against a spring plate,

and you cannot lose the adjustment by accident / using the pliers.

Buy one and be happy.

Christmas is coming up soon - and you deserve it!

Edited by Z320
9 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Been around a long time and are not unique to Knippex. 

I know them as the Chapman Tiger Lock Wrench and they were part of the Snap-On tools inventory in the 1970's

The Tiger Lock is more like an adjustable spanner & not a 'grauncher'

Another Tiger produced tool

After years of struggling with random sockets and a vice to replace UJs, today I ordered to one of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113965452084

I must confess to being hooked on new toys for the garage and Her In Doors caught me browsing ebay, took pity and bought me a lockdown present.

George 

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

I tested my woodworking skills yesterday making this fixture for soldering wires together :-)

43B27950-7AAD-4FCF-8953-77910D1E9E42.jpeg

I like that simple (like me) and effective (unlike me) for all those without 3 hands. 

ps don’t forget to put the heat shrink wrap on first - :rolleyes: