Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

That’s disgraceful, they are recommending a CLAW hammer, we all know it should be a ball pein hammer !

Mick Richards

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Z320 said:

If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail

Good one !

Mick Richards

To hold a liner in a lathe chuck for trimming the length ?

Bob.

P.S.  it would help to have some dimensions :P

P.S.S.    I really ought to read more carefully !

Edited by Lebro
5 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Fitting rear axle oil seals?

Rgds Ian 

Well done Ian, you've got it right (and earned a lockdown bank holiday beer, or two).

I've been struggling to fit these pesky oil seals.  The type currently available don't have the steel outer ring and are tricky to fit square without damaging them.  Normally I'd use a socket but don't have one big enough.  The pipe was from eBay and the wooden end cut using two hole saws, which fortunately matched the OD and ID of the pipe.

IMG_0144.thumb.jpg.628ed623cd3b1956c264eb26bb0a84d3.jpg

Steve

5 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Fitting rear axle oil seals?

Rgds Ian 

Well done Ian. 
:)

1 hour ago, Steve Priest said:

Well done Ian, you've got it right (and earned a lockdown bank holiday beer, or two).

I've been struggling to fit these pesky oil seals.  The type currently available don't have the steel outer ring and are tricky to fit square without damaging them.  Normally I'd use a socket but don't have one big enough.  The pipe was from eBay and the wooden end cut using two hole saws, which fortunately matched the OD and ID of the pipe.

Steve

Do not forget the use of 'Speedisleeve' on the scored and grooved axle shaft area the seal runs on.   

Peter W

10 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Do not forget the use of 'Speedisleeve' on the scored and grooved axle shaft area the seal runs on.   

Peter W

Thanks Peter.  I saw a few recommendations for speedi sleeves while trawling the forum.  To be honest, both shafts looked very good, one was almost perfect and the other had a very very slight wear mark.  I've spent quite a while waiting for parts while tackling all my 'lockdown' jobs so I'm keen to get it back on the road.  If they still leak I'll have another go over the winter.

Cheers,
Steve

46 minutes ago, Steve Priest said:

Thanks Peter.  I saw a few recommendations for speedi sleeves while trawling the forum.  To be honest, both shafts looked very good, one was almost perfect and the other had a very very slight wear mark.  I've spent quite a while waiting for parts while tackling all my 'lockdown' jobs so I'm keen to get it back on the road.  If they still leak I'll have another go over the winter.

Cheers,
Steve

My seal tool and the Speedisleeve I use   

https:image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, Steve Priest said:

Steve

Hi Steve,

I made something very similar when I was fitting the seals into my back axle.  I used a piece of scaffold tube with a suitable wooden bung to soften the blow.

It's surprising how useful that short length of scaffold tube has been over the years.

Rgds Ian

PS Cambridgeshire is a bit far to go for a beer but I appreciate the thought.  Anyway, having had a supermarket delivery yesterday evening the drinks cupboard is in pretty good shape.

Edited by Ian Vincent

I did not make this, but my dog found it in the garden somewhere. It is based on a cap head screw taking an 8mm AF hex key.

Th whole thing was chromed, & it has an accurately machined slot in the end.

I cannot think what it is, any ideas ?

Bob.

20200522_143357.jpg.e565700b80e01c61bb5e8b4bc9aabd03.jpg  20200522_143406.thumb.jpg.896668fd8f006158dc29b81282138a89.jpg  20200522_143402.jpg.1cf4b4a81352bb4940f3f40b13ed8c97.jpg

• 4 months later...

Today, I was drilling large holes in a slab of aluminium, using a hole saw in a pillar drill.     It works well - until the drill gets deeper that the height of the saw teeth on its rim.   Then it chokes on its own swarf and gets very slow indeed.    I had to pull the drill in and out so it could clear, and even lubricating with WD40, it was very slow.

So I got  out the angle grinder and fitted with a cutting disc, cut grooves above each tooth.    Result - it flies again!   The swarf is cleared in long streamers!    I was drilling 1" plate from both sides, so if I do it again, I'll cut longer grooves, but this worked so well, I have to pass it on!

IMG_20201003_193518[1].jpg

IMG_20201003_194353[1].jpg

Edited by john.r.davies
1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

that is very good. Your free hand slots look quite uniform.

Well Done.

Roger

Thank you, kind Sir!

I'm making ARB brackets for the Other Project, like this

IMG_20201003_220605[1].jpg