Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

Serious question, easy answer.

The recommended torque for center spinners is 300 Nm for "low powered cars" up to 400 HP.

Down next to the wheel on one knee, the other one up, I can lift with both arms about 50 kg, so I made the lever about 65 cm long.

This torque is by accident the same that make my front wheels beginning to slide on my tiled garage floor.

So with "normal" circumstances I hit the 300 Nm by pulling the 65 cm leaver as strong as I can.

That's it.

Edited by Z320
my bad englich writing
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

On 8/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, Deggers said:

Or smack it with a lump hammer and be on your way  -  a.k.a the Paddy Hopkirk school of Alpine Motoring.

(10'12" below)

And that's the way it must be. Never heard of recommended torque for knock-offs as they tighten as you drive. 300-400 Nm seems madness or we should open a PQI on those mickey mouse wrenches sold by the usuals !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

today I took out a set of "little helpers" for a fast job.

This is one of them. I made them some years ago and have always been pleased with them.

P1140417-b.JPG.2e6f4f2f495f6a88533952cc573c96f9.JPG

Who wants to guess what I used it for?

Ciao, Marco

14 hours ago, Deggers said:

Polo mint production.

hmmm, could be.....,

But sorry, also not sausage and not pasta making, it is a "guide" for another tool

edit: out for work, next photo at about 18:00

Edited by Z320

Nicely made, that will allow cutting a thread which will be at 90 deg in two planes and very useful if cutting a stud where you can't gain access to see if you need to adjust your input thrust by pressure to keep the cutting action square...great idea.

Mick Richards

Hi Waldi,

you got it! That's what it is for.

Put some oil on it and it works very fast and safe, you have to take no attention for the angle.

2 photos deleted because of limited data base at the forum

Years ago I asked for this several tool traders and tool shops and finaly had to make two sizes of them myself when I had to cut a number of threads.

Shure I only "re-invented" that tool, I'm shure there must have been something like this alreday in the 18- and 19-hundreds.

And indeed, with the phrase "Scheideisenführung" Google will find it in best chinese quality made of zinc cast.

Hi Bfg,

for taps I don't use this but you find lovely products with a Google search by "tap guide",

also with a prism to work on pipes and round steel. Woth to think about to buy one for metric and one for inch taps.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
8 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I've had one of these for many years and found it helpful.  Probably not as good as your guide bush

As I told above: shure I'm not the first with this idea.

We all have the same need and got the idea for a solution the same moment.

I asked the question because last year I fitted handrails to the side decks of my boat and drilled a 1" thick hardwood block for use as drill block.  And then tapped the holes through the fibreglass deck.  Of course the tap tended to self-align to a great extent,  but still it was a slow and deliberate task to do some 75 holes.   I did the same again when drilling the holes to fit lids onto my newly built-in water tanks.  A hole through a metal block would of course have lasted very much longer,  before its edges rounded off,  and so have been more accurate than a wooden block.  Until following z320's suggestion and google searching "tap guide" and then "drill guide"  I didn't know that these things were commercially available.  So thank you.    

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

Hi Pete, please call me Marco.

If I have to drill accurately on a flat surface, and have some space around, and want to be fast - I use another tool.

I post a photo later when I'm back at home.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Thanks Marco..

I used to have one of those for my old Black & Decker drill,  but I've not seen one of the Makita cordless drills I now use.  So I'll buy one of those drill and tap guides (made with metal guides)  ready for the next time I need to do such a task.