Modified and fabricated tools - Show & Tell

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lightweight drain plug remover which lives in the travelling tool kit. 

Well, the "special" tool, even with a torch attached, failed to locate the lamp. It was excellent at recovering various small logs, and large stones though. Luckily I had taken along a Plan B - a

Hi, this was one of the first tools I made for my TR4A about 10 years ago, very durable and still in use... Shure someone else has one like this in use and posted it already.

Posted Images

On 10/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, Hamish said:

This one is mine for the 3a done by the PO in the ‘70’s I think. 

But it’s still 8.9kg. 

7DD3BE04-4A81-4A8B-9350-2092941CDC51.jpeg

Hi Hamish,

Here is one 'off the shelf' new at 10 lbs not kg.  Fitting the ring gear will add weight of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidanza-Aluminum-Flywheel-54-65-Triumph-TR4-All-65-67-Triumph-TR4A-2-1L/232788640975?fits=Model%3ATR4A|Make%3ATriumph&epid=195055798&hash=item363348c4cf:g:LG8AAOSwIzBbD8mO

PS I have posted this before.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
45 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi Hamish,

Here is one 'off the shelf' new at 10 lbs not kg.  Fitting the ring gear will add weight of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidanza-Aluminum-Flywheel-54-65-Triumph-TR4-All-65-67-Triumph-TR4A-2-1L/232788640975?fits=Model%3ATR4A|Make%3ATriumph&epid=195055798&hash=item363348c4cf:g:LG8AAOSwIzBbD8mO

Peter W

Nice bit of engineering art and function. 

You shouldn’t be tempting me like this. I can’t afford the bits I need let alone want. 

The od logic switch is on Birthday list. And I’m hitting mid 50’s !!

H

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi Hamish,

Peter W

They arent as good as they make out, the two parts have been known to move and start fretting.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Which two parts, Hamish?   The ring gear or the friction plate against the body of the wheel?

Just interested.

John

Those Fidanza flywheels are a composite of Ally and steel and the surface the driven plate runs on has been known to fret against the body, I think Guy (Jersey Royal) had that problem with one a few years ago.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Those Fidanza flywheels are a composite of Ally and steel and the surface the driven plate runs on has been known to fret against the body, I think Guy (Jersey Royal) had that problem with one a few years ago.

Stuart.

Yep

What a mess it was.

• 4 months later...

Back to the show and tell tools theme.

I have just finished replacing the head gasket on my 3a including adjusting the liner heights - one was too low.

The picture shows the puller I used to remove the liners.  It's a short length of RHS which I slid down inside the liner once the piston was out.  The two rubber bands and paper clips were used to hold it in position.  The yoke came from my bearing puller set and sat upon a couple bits of wood on either side of the block to give clearance for the liner to rise.  Having clipped the RHS into position it was a matter of moments to slide the threaded rod down through the centre and slide under the vehicle to put a washer plus nut on the other end.  Tighten the nut at the top and up came the liner.

Rgds Ian

IMG_1944.jpg

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Back to the show and tell tools theme.

I have just finished replacing the head gasket on my 3a including adjusting the liner heights - one was too low.

The picture shows the puller I used to remove the liners.  It's a short length of RHS which I slid down inside the liner once the piston was out.  The two rubber bands and paper clips were used to hold it in position.  The yoke came from my bearing puller set and sat upon a couple bits of wood on either side of the block to give clearance for the liner to rise.  Having clipped the RHS into position it was a matter of moments to slide the threaded rod down through the centre and slide under the vehicle to put a washer plus nut on the other end.  Tighten the nut at the top and up came the liner.

Rgds Ian

IMG_1944.jpg

Ian,

What did you do to correct the one liner height issue?

Cheers

Peter W

9 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ian,

What did you do to correct the one liner height issue?

Cheers

Peter W

I bought some 0.55mm thick copper sheet and cut a new Fo8 gasket from it and then had the other liner of the pair trimmed to depth at a nearby machine shop. 

Rgds Ian

1 minute ago, Ian Vincent said:

I bought some 0.55mm thick copper sheet and cut a new Fo8 gasket from it and then had the other liner of the pair trimmed to depth at a nearby machine shop. 

Rgds Ian

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Were the liners 'new' or old ones that had just sunk?  There was an issue once with repro liners all being different lengths - so it was pot luck on getting the liner heights correct.

Peter W

13 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Were the liners 'new' or old ones that had just sunk?  There was an issue once with repro liners all being different lengths - so it was pot luck on getting the liner heights correct.

Peter W

The liners were new ones that were wrongly ‘adjusted’ by the machine shop that did work for me back when the engine was originally rebuilt. They were repros bought in 2011/12.

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

how did you cut your new Fo8.  The copper is so thin and the width of the seal so narrow it must be hard to hold.

Roger

Yes Roger the copper is thin but it is also very soft which makes it easy to cut.

I marked the centres of the bores and then used an appropriately sized trepanning tool in a bench drill to cut the centres out while the sheet of copper was clamped to a piece of wood clamped to the baseplate of the bench drill.  Cutting the outside was fairly straightforward, I used some metal shears after I has cut out the centres.

It took about an hour.  As you have probably worked out, 0.55mm is just over 0.021" which gives a useful step up from the standard 0.018" copper gaskets.

Rgds Ian

10 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Yes Roger the copper is thin but it is also very soft which makes it easy to cut.

I marked the centres of the bores and then used an appropriately sized trepanning tool in a bench drill to cut the centres out while the sheet of copper was clamped to a piece of wood clamped to the baseplate of the bench drill.  Cutting the outside was fairly straightforward, I used some metal shears after I has cut out the centres.

It took about an hour.  As you have probably worked out, 0.55mm is just over 0.021" which gives a useful step up from the standard 0.018" copper gaskets.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

What dimension did you come to for the bore centres to each other ?

Mick Richards

100 mm exactly Mick.  Hence my earlier post about metric dimensions in an Imperial car.  I measured it from an a spare plastic coated steel F08 gasket that I had in the garage and drew myself up a template on Powerpoint.

Rgds Ian

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

100 mm exactly Mick.  Hence my earlier post about metric dimensions in an Imperial car.  I measured it from an a spare plastic coated steel F08 gasket that I had in the garage and drew myself up a template on Powerpoint.

Rgds Ian

I recently scanned to pdf the mating faces of some castings to make unobtainable gaskets.   Printed them out as a pdf at 100%, stuck print to gasket paper & cut out using home made hole punches and a scalpel on a sheet of lead.  I did cut out samples of the printed paper first to check my scan quality/fitment, before scrapping a piece of gasket paper.

Went on to check the dimensional positions of the stud holes etc by 'dimensioning' with Minicad an imported TIFF file.   Sad bit is my Mac version of  Minicad is metric only and the casting are  UK 1950's vintage, so the dimensions look like rubbish to my Imperial eye. (example - 5/16" stud clearance hole should be 11/32" or.... 8.73mm)  My ancient version of Cadintosh recognises both Imperial and Metric measurement, but does not want to import any file format I can create.   Why are these things not easier?  Anybody got any other ways to dimension from a scanned object?

Fills your day up.....

Cheers

Peter W

PS The gaskets fit fine.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Looks ridiculous but my spanners are too tick to get between the coil of the bonnet latch spring to tighten the counter nut until I found a slim IKEA spanner would do the trick with a bit of filing to adjust it to size.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-30 at 15.05.03.jpeg

9 hours ago, Geko said:

Looks ridiculous but my spanners are too tick to get between the coil of the bonnet latch spring to tighten the counter nut until I found a slim IKEA spanner would do the trick with a bit of filing to adjust it to size.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-30 at 15.05.03.jpeg

Ideal for getting the bonnet to pack nicely flat :-)

11 hours ago, Geko said:

I use one that came with a new washing machine to adjust the feet for levelling.

Pete

On 3/31/2019 at 3:04 AM, stillp said:

I use one that came with a new washing machine to adjust the feet for levelling.

Pete

You made me think that I too could have kept the one of my new washing machine somewhere and... success !!! 

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-01 at 23.24.11.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I needed to shorten the front stays of my surrey top frame to lower the ridge line which was recently compared to “Oblio’s hat”

This little tool made from a scrap of aluminium bar did a fine job squeezed in the vice. 

478EB4A8-2EAD-4DC0-BE41-68EB0C55FF6B.jpeg

Hmmmm,

this reminds me of my tool for making stays for one of my motorcyles.

Unfortunately it was worn after making the stays - but fortunately the stays are very durable.

Ciao, Marco 

20190731_153135.jpg.2f065cad1fa786d69c513b01694a82ec.jpg20190731_153124.jpg.f5427d30a589fdb76882da09d3a53e59.jpg20190731_153204.jpg.433146b604e0a36397d93f09297549e8.jpg20190731_153148.jpg.37ad308568a67107dff4396c8667a226.jpg

On returning from 2 week boating hols on River & canals, I removed the LED floodlight from front of boat for safe keeping.

On moving from boat to jetty I slipped, & in saving myself I managed to drop the lamp into the water.  A lot of bad words were said (damm, bother etc)

I know more of less where it went, but water is around 2½ meters deep, & not "see through".

So this afternoon I made a giant version of the tool most of us have for picking up things which drop behind cuboards etc

Used a length of 22mm copper pipe (in stock), & a shorter length of 15mm. cut four slots in 15mm one (bandsaw), soldered a turned down brass nut into the end,

inserted a length of rope through the nut hole (with a knot in the end), & cut a "V" notch in the 2mm pipe to lock the rope into.

the 4 parts of the 15mm pipe were them bent as shown.

Tomorrow I will see if it works.  (fingers crossed)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro