My car has been with Crown Classics for a few days to sort out the bad running. Just heard back from them, and my worst fears were realised. A new camshaft is required. Everything else was checked recently when a new thrust bearing was fitted, compression is really good and equal.

The engine was rebuilt several years ago by the infamous engine builder that many people were using at the time. He has since disappeared from the Triumph scene after many people had problems with his work including camshaft failure. Although I had other serious problems, I thought I had escaped the camshaft problem.

I haven't got a full specification ( a newbie in those days and followed personal recommendations that I would get an amazing engine) but I know the head has been skimmed, bigger valves fitted etc, twin 1.75 SU's, Phoenix manifold and exhaust.

My problem now is what camshaft to use. I'm considering either standard TR5 cam or Newman ph2 cam.

Look forward to hearing your views on the different camshafts.

Cheers

Nigel

Edited by Nigel A

Nigel

I have a cp engine in my car running on stromberg carburetors with a standard exhaust system. Last year I fitted a Piper cam which I am very happy with. The engine revs freely to 5000rpm (I have never pushed it further) and will pull top gear cleanly from a little over 1000rpm. It also returns 30 mpg.

If you are interested I can dig out the exact spec tomorrow

George