High Flow air coupling fittings v standard

Hi All,

I have read that using high flow air couplings gives a significant benefit over standard, particularly for spray painting, and wondered if anyone had any views on this?

I currently use PCL Vertex couplings which are standard bore but I am about to start painting my body tub and panels and obviously want to give myself the best chance of getting the best results.

I have done a little bit of test painting already, both primer and top coat and to my fairly untrained eye the results are OK. I also use a couple of different size DA sanders which also seem to work fine with standard fittings but am willing to change if high flow is better.

I have a 100 litre 3hp compressor which nominally gives out 14.5 cfm and have a devilbiss FLG5 gun with a 1.4 tip for top coat and a cheaper duren 1.8m tip gun for primer.

Does anyone have views or advice on standard v high flow?

Many thanks,

Sean

I know there are (at least) two standards for compressed air fittings in Holland: Euro and Orion.

Euro has a considerable higher inside diameter for the same size coupling.

both are supplied in tool shops etc.

Waldi

Save your money, I`ve been painting on standard couplings for more than 40yrs without any problem.

Stuart.

Save your money, I`ve been painting on standard couplings for more than 40yrs without any problem.

Stuart.

While Stuart makes a good point, our home gear mightn't be up to the same standard as his.

Nice to control the output at the blaster, spray gun, grinder etc, rather than have the hose couplings dictate what happens at the pointy end.

Stuart.

Stuart is correct, save your money. The only real necessity for the high flow couplings and larger bore air line is if you are using perhaps an HVLP gun coupled with an air fed respirator, and a specific blow gun for drying waterbourne basecoat.. You will see no benefit at all when using a DA sander or any other small air tools, in fact the larger hose is less flexible and will get in the way.

regards

Nick

don't bother, I've been spraying for 35 years...and using most of my dads equipment that he's been using since the 50's (he used to work in the paint labs that supplied ST & others) .....my advice, spend your money on good quality paint and more than you need