Fitting sandwich plate for oil cooler on spin on oil filter housing

Good evening gents

I am in the process of fitting an oil cooler to my TR3B and whilst in the process of fitting the sandwich plate onto the filter housing I noticed that As I fastened the central hollow bolt, or adapter as it is called in the accompanying instructions. I noticed that when fully screwed in, the sandwich plate isn't tight against the filter housing. It can rotate and has a few tenths of a mm play.

Is this meant to be like this (and will screwing on the oil filter squeeze the sandwich plate tight enough to seal)? Or should I shorten the adapter bolt so that the sandwich plate is tight against the housing?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

Ewald.

post-14195-0-41471200-1497820186_thumb.jpg

post-14195-0-40654500-1497820207_thumb.jpg

It's called a 'sandwick plate' as when you tighten the filter the SP is squeezed against the housing as you tighten the filter, and it can take some force to get it tight.

Best of luck getting it tight enough not too leak, I gave up and binned mine. There was no added benifit having an oil cooler and it meaned changing the filter was too much hassle.

Thanks for the input gents. Yes, Pete the seal is In. After some more searching I found Mocal instructions also saying the oil filter will "sandwich" the plate tight. Funnily enough, I sent the same question to Moss, who answered that I should absolutely try to fasten the central bolt tights to get a seal!!!

I guess the lesson to learn here is not to trust Moss' advice!

I did get the whole lot fitted this evening, time for a test drive and a few prayers to the gods of sealing that I have not mucked anything up tomorrow!

Edited by Ewald