Rust treatment chassis

Hi all , any suggestions on treating the inside of chassis for flaking and surface rust , I've just bought one of those cameras that can feed down cavities and after using this I have discovered said rust issue.

I've also bought a j type overdrive from a triumph 2500 tc and want to fit to my 67 4a any advice on this would be welcome ,

Regards Rob ????

Use the search facility, there are numerous threads on both these subjects, I don't know myself but remember them coming up before numerous times.

Mick Richards

Hi Bob.

I used Dinitrol

http://tr4a.weebly.com/chassis-paint-treatment.html

Best

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

regarding your rusty chassis interior.

If it is rusty then to remove you need access to either grit blast or apply the various liquids - not easy or practical.

The easiest way is to coat the rust with a layer that will cut out oxygen getting at the surface.

if the interior has never been waxoyl'd etc then it may be possible to coat with 'BondaRustPrimer' https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bondarust&_sacat=0

It is easy enough to place holes in crucial areas and make up a spray gun/pipe.

Then coat the Bondarust with a waxy material. Many people like Waxoyl, other prefer Dinitrol.

I started with Waxoyl and so am stuck with it but the Dinitrol type products look very good.

If you make holes in the chassis make sure you have the rubber blanking plugs before you start.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are not going to chop bits out to get access for mechanical removal, one of the treatments that are phosphoric acid based would be the best thing to try. Converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate.

After letting it dry for yonks (fan heater??) put Roger's stuff in there to stop it happening again.

Edited by littlejim