Hi all

I am just coming to the end of re-building the rear end and I have to say it was more of a mission than I had envisaged. This has involved:

1/ New drive shafts (spline wear)

2/ New U/J's

3/ Uprated and slightly lowered springs

4/ Telescopic shox with type 2 brackets

5/ polybushes in trailing arms

As I said it has been more involved/time consuming than I thought it would be so I really want to get it all back correctly the first time round so I have a couple of questions for those of you that have done this job.

1/ The polybushes are "shaped". Does it matter which direction they are pressed into the T/A's?

2/ Will the polybushes press in with a vice and will I need to use lubricant?

3/ When shimming the brackets, obviously the difference between the number of shims between inner and outer brackets determines the toe in but what determines the "base line" for the number of shims? 2/1 or 3/2 or 4/3 etc would give the same toe in but is there a reason to choose between any of these combinations? If it is to determine how far forward or backwards the wheel is located in relation to the chassis how is this measurement done?

4/ I am a novice when it comes to adjustable shox. Does making the shox "harder" make the ride harder or just adjust the rebound? I do not do track days so I simply want the most comfortable ride conducive to good handling on UK minor roads. Where should I adjust them to or just fit them as they came out of the packet?

Oh, you will be pleased to know, the last bit of kit I am sticking on the rear end is a pair of Vredestein T-Trac-2's (to go along with the 2 new ones at the front!

Thanking in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Smon

• 2 weeks later...

Just driven the 4A for the first time since the rear end overhaul and new springs and spax adjustable shox front and back. It has transformed the car. There is no bottoming out of the back end when going over a small potholes, it is just delightful. Have got the rear shox on 4 clicks and the fronts on 16. The back end feels about right but the front end I think needs bringing down a bit. The steering is almost too precise. This is all before the new T-trac tyres are on. I am so impressed with the change that I thoroughly recommend doing this conversion. I was worried that the uprated springs would make the ride too hard but it has just made it firm but smooth.

Cheers

imon

Hi Imon or Smon I can't work out which,

If you want to complete the transformation PM me your e mail address and I'll send you an article I've written which will improve the steering and handling of your car by about the same amount as you've gained by the multi hundreds of pounds you've spent so far, Oh... it will cost you about a quid. The forum numbers who have sent for the mod is well over a hundred and there are NO dissenters arguing about the improvement when you've done it.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

All requested e mails on their way.

regards Mick Richards