Hot wiper motor

This is ( I think ) an odd one.

Just returned for a little run "splutter" conked out halfway home, but thats not the problem, problem is when I oppened the bonnet to have a look I put my hand on the wiper motor.........it was quite hot, not too hot to touch but hot. I am fairly sure that is not normal is it?

Any ideas chaps / chapeses

still don't know why it spluttered to an embarasing halt but after a five minuit rest we were off again and got home.

thanks David

David,

Not sure why the your wiper motor is hot but the two faults could be connected. I had a similar problem where the wiper motor stalled mid stroke resulting in robbing the power from the coil and electric fuel pump, hence engine stopped!

Cheers

Graeme

Whip the wiper blades off then watch the spindles closely as you turn the ignition on. If they move then stop I'd say that Graeme's suggestion that they're stalled is correct.

Edited by peejay4A

Hmm sound like a plan, I'll try that in the morning.

I think the missfire, stopping business must be fuel starvation, after a little rest she starts up and runs again, albeit a little roughly. I will clean up the filters and carbs tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks, David

If I run a wiper-motor in perfect condition, at 13.8V for 1 hour it will be too hot to pick-up.

The wire gauge used is too thin really, for continuous running. Actually it's a lot too thin compared to "industrial" design rules.

Measure the current in the green 12V supply wire. Something is too stiff if this is above about 5A.

Often the main gear gets stiff in the sleeve bearing. Fix this before it seizes because they are really awkward to recover if they get really stuck. This is about water ingress and poor lubrication by Lucas.

I could go on.

Hello Alan

Thankyou for reading the post, I would not be unduly supprised if it was hot after running, but when it is not switched on?

Hello Pete,

I did as you suggested, no movement on switch on, however did let the motor run untill it self parked and then put the arms back on, after another abortive run this evening (will be a seperate post) the motor is still hot, will have to check the wiring tomorrow.

Kind regards David

Now you will understand how hot they get when running and being heated by the normal under-bonnet heat.

This is why you never find much paint left on used ones. It just evapourates away.

It's also why I paint them with VHT paint and just one particular brand.

Lucas just used any old paint and pretty thin too. On the B90 exchange units they reused bodies and gear cases and fitted new electrical.

They seem to me to have painted over rust. I'm always refinishing these.

Worth checking the switch wiring. Alan can confirm it is possible to reverse a couple of connections, and although the wipers work correctly, the motor draws current even when switched off.