TR3 heater fan motor (Smiths)

One of these 3.5 kW heaters from T7 Design will be going in my car in the future:

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php/our-products/heating/heaters/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v.html

heater_side_vents_4_3.jpg

There are probably three and change original heaters and bits kicking around here, but rather than combine them all into one functioning original I'm going this route with a new, very compact one. That's counter to my normal ethic, but it seems the most logical solution to the hidden, wheezy original design.

I've rebuilt about half a dozen armatures now. All wiper-motors, but the heater-fans may not be much different.

The key thing is being able to get replacement commutators. You get damaged commutators with the windings in good shape,

But if the windings are burned then the commutator will be also.

I'm hoping to see what's wrong with this heater motor. Replacing a commutator is a simple DIY job. I do 'em in an hour or so.

Rewinding is not hard either but requires dexterity, good eyesight, patience and a couple of hours free on about three afternoons.

I'm in Hertfordshire by the way.

Ha, thanks Alan. I was just wondering as there was a chap in Bournemouth (where I live) selling reconditioned ones on Ebay. I was just grasping at straws that it might be you.

I have the unit Don has posted above fitted to my TR3a and was considering getting my old Smiths unit (which was removed) reconditioned. I think the reason mine wasn't working is because it leaked (I'll have to check with Stuart).

One of these 3.5 kW heaters from T7 Design will be going in my car in the future:

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php/our-products/heating/heaters/3-5kw-lightweight-heater-with-side-vents-12v.html

heater_side_vents_4_3.jpg

There are probably three and change original heaters and bits kicking around here, but rather than combine them all into one functioning original I'm going this route with a new, very compact one. That's counter to my normal ethic, but it seems the most logical solution to the hidden, wheezy original design.

+1

I have just fitted one with advice from Stuart ( Many thanks) . It even functions OK with the dash mounted original heater control albeit in the reverse direction, i.e. anti clockwise to increase the blower speed , clockwise to reduce speed. Fully counter clockwise for off.

Its so compact it is really hidden unlike the original cumbersome lump.

Only ones on eBay I've seen are listed as Lucas. Might not be of course.

Another reason I asked for a photo.

You'll find me on eBay doing wiper-motors, mainly Jag, TR and Mini.

Very many such are listed wrongly on eBay. Quite shocking when you really know!

The funny thing is that if I politely point this out, about half the time I'll get abuse.

Doing this will probably create returns, aggro and cost. So why not "thanks I'll check" instead of "what do you know about it".

People are ODD.

Many get listed as for TR4, usually they are 150 or 130 degree sweep and the blades go off.

I've part-number correct TR4 motors that will get rebuilt sometime.

I've rebuilt about half a dozen armatures now. All wiper-motors, but the heater-fans may not be much different.

The key thing is being able to get replacement commutators. You get damaged commutators with the windings in good shape,

But if the windings are burned then the commutator will be also.

I'm hoping to see what's wrong with this heater motor. Replacing a commutator is a simple DIY job. I do 'em in an hour or so.

Rewinding is not hard either but requires dexterity, good eyesight, patience and a couple of hours free on about three afternoons.

I'm in Hertfordshire by the way.

Usual issue with these motors is scored comm and seized bearings. Then the owner attempts a fix and breaks the Bakelite brush plate in half.

TopTip. Do not try to strip the thing without. Un- riveting the bearing retainer. The wiring has to be teased through the holes in the brush plate

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 1 year later...
On 6/13/2017 at 1:07 PM, lehsand said:

Where can I send my TR3 heater fan Smiths motor for repair. Do you have any recommendations ?

Regards

Lars Erik Hjertaas

Norway

Hi Lars,

I think you meant to send a message to AlanT but used "report" by mistake - this sends a note to the Forum Moderators.

If you want to send a message direct to Alan (and not post publicly here), you can "hover" your mouse over his name and a sub window pops up; there is an option to "message" him there.

Obviously, you could also just post here on this thread...

Let us know if this isn't clear and we can help out.

Cheers,

Tim

28 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

Hi Lars,

I think you meant to send a message to AlanT but used "report" by mistake - this sends a note to the Forum Moderators.

If you want to send a message direct to Alan (and not post publicly here), you can "hover" your mouse over his name and a sub window pops up; there is an option to "message" him there.

Obviously, you could also just post here on this thread...

Let us know if this isn't clear and we can help out.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim have you seen the date on this enquiry?

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

Tim have you seen the date on this enquiry?

Stuart.

Ha!  I hadn't, Stuart - thanks for pointing it out.

Lars actually "reported" this post with his question for Alan earlier today - whether that's intentional or not, I don't know.

20 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

Ha!  I hadn't, Stuart - thanks for pointing it out.

Lars actually "reported" this post with his question for Alan earlier today - whether that's intentional or not, I don't know.

TBH I have no idea whats going on here now as everything has suddenly changed again. So maybe that only just surfaced as a "Ghost in the machine" :ph34r:

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
8 minutes ago, stuart said:

TBH I have no idea whats going on here now as everything has suddenly changed again. So maybe that only just surfaced as a "Ghost in the machine" :ph34r:

Stuart.

True.  (reaches for old Police album...)

22 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

True.  (reaches for old Police album...)

I remember that, did part of the tour to promote it.

Stuart.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2017 at 11:29 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Do you have an old motor? Does it work at all? I used to do an exchange service on these so may be able to help.

Peter W

Hello Peter W

it's a couple of years gone, but I'm about to install the heater since I'm getting close to have the car on the road.

Do you repair the Smith's heater fan motors ?

I live in Norway, but travel frequently to UK (Somerset) so I can bring it over and ship from there.

Regards Lars Erik

18 hours ago, lehsand said:

Hello Peter W

it's a couple of years gone, but I'm about to install the heater since I'm getting close to have the car on the road.

Do you repair the Smith's heater fan motors ?

I live in Norway, but travel frequently to UK (Somerset) so I can bring it over and ship from there.

Regards Lars Erik

Dear Lars Erik

I have sent you a personal message (PM)

Peter W

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 5:43 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi Guys

I'm new to TR ownership and this forum having owned my 72 TR6 for a couple of months now. The heater doesn't work and after removing it I found that the 3 wires leading to the motor had all melted together. I've taken the Smiths motor out now which does turn by hand.

I've applied power directly to the terminals on the brushes and no it shows no sign of life at all. When I apply power to one brush when I test each of the pads on the cummatator they all appear to have power. I expected each of the windings to be isolated from each other unless I've miss understood how the motor works. Is  rewinding the armature worth attempting and is it the sort of thing that I could tackle myself. Also the permanent magnets don't feel especially strong but I'm not sure if that is just how they are.

Thanks Stephen

You have the wrong idea.  All the windings are joined.

They make loops around the poles in two slots and then move on by one slot. They go in pairs. This makes for better balance than if you just go round in one pass. This is because each winding uses a bit more wire.

If the windings look light brown rather than grey/black they are probably OK.

I routinely rewind wiper motor armatures and I'll tell you how to do it and where to get the materials.  Total material cost is around £15 if you are just doing one.  There are minimum buy quantities involved.

These motors melt the wires if they get prevented from rotating and power is kept on.  So you need to make it spin smoothly before doing any electrical work.

I started by unwinding one and making drawings of how the wires were wound.  The first one I did worked out fine.  This is NOT hard but is boring. The biggest problem is keeping track of the ends, which is the start and which is finish end.  I taped and id label on them at first.  Now I just know.

If it's been overheated badly the commutator will be suspect.  You can get these on eBay, at least close to original.  Small size changes don't matter as long as it fits the shaft and have the right number of segments.

That's enough for now, here's some photos.

rewind-6.jpg

rewind-8.jpg

rewind-12.jpg

Hi there,

Not sure why you want this at all. Even with a rebuilt motor and a new fan and the flow is similar to the dying breath of a flee.

With everything assembled apart from the bottom part with the two doors the flow is very good but as soon as the heater is fully assembled the flow is so restricted that the flow is almost completely lost. I have tried various different fans, blade pitches and have not been able to get an acceptable flow no matter want I do.

I now have a fan system that will blow the curtains on the other side of the room and will blow an excellent flow for the demister vents. I have three fan sets in the original housing and it's impossible to see from the original look. All three fans are double ended so three suckers and three blowers giving a super flow.

Rod.

Edited by Rodbr
4 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Hi there,

Not sure why you want this at all. Even with a rebuilt motor and a new fan and the flow is similar to the dying breath of a flee.

With everything assembled apart from the bottom part with the two doors the flow is very good but as soon as the heater is fully assembled the flow is so restricted that the flow is almost completely lost. I have tried various different fans, blade pitches and have not been able to get an acceptable flow no matter want I do.

I now have a fan system that will blow the curtains on the other side of the room and will blow an excellent flow for the demister vents. I have three fan sets in the original housing and it's impossible to see from the original look. All three fans are double ended so three suckers and three blowers giving a super flow.

Rod.

Rod, could you add a few details on the fans you used please.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT