TR Values - Don't shoot the messenger!

" If old, but seemingly serviceable tyres are such a hazard why is it not an MOT failure? "

Tyre age should be an MoT failure, but it is difficult to pin down an appropriate age . . . . . TRaditional radials of 80 profile are likely to have a rather longer service life than more modern low profile tyres. 10 years shouldn't be a problem for us, especially if the car is garage stored - as opposed to sitting out in the sun all day.

In contrast, my son's Hondas - Type-R Integra, Type-R Civic, and S2000 - have each demonstrated that at 4 years old the tyres are shot, skip fodder, lacking in grip and past their use-by date.

Any MoT tester worth his salt will check the tyre date code and make an advisory note if he feels the tyre is overdue for replacement.

Meanwhile, Camskill are a good source of tyres, and quite a few of us have found Vredestein TTrac-2 to be an excellent budget tyre.

Link - https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s408p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_165_80_15_165_80R15_R15_inch_-_165_15_165R15

Usual disclaimers !

Cheers,

Alec

...and still TRs brought back to like new condition fetch far less than the cost to do so - maybe 1/2?

Hence a beaut is quite the bargain ;) and can be nicked up in the course of using it.

All in all a good way to have it for those entering the fold :) .

Cheers,

Tom

None of our sons are interested in inheriting them as they do not know a condenser from a cam shaft.

He has just bought a beautiful 1979 Alfa spider for £9K in pristine condition and I have to say it knocks the spots off my TR for driving fun. Now you experts; which car is going to devalue? The Alfa's that the youngsters want to buy or the TR's that the oldies want to sell?

Not so for my son (aged 23). He is not at all interested in classic cars, but love to use my TR4 and definitively will take it over if it comes to that (not in 40 years I hope).

Also my daughter loves to drive it (aged 20).

Me - owned the car for 22 years now and still think it is one of the best drives you can get on a stretch of road. It may not be the fastest of cars but the most fun. I test drove an electric Tesla Model S last week which was VERY fast and very quiet. But on the way home in the TR I decided I will love the TR always more.

My Porsche had 17 y/old rubber when I bought it. No cracks, nothing - the car had been stored in a dry barn in Spain. On my first trip, I noticed that the car went all over the road. New Vredesteins changed the handling completely! What the others said: replace them

Just reading an article in Classics Weekly. "Boom, but no Bust". It appears a large percentage of cars are not being sold when auctioned. Who are those people telling us there is no problem? Why, it's the auctioneers who have absolutely no interest in car prices falling at all..... Yep, theyre the ones we turn to for objective analysis!! Lets hope they are on the way down and those who bought for a profit and not enjoyment get their fingers burnt and dont do it again!!

Looks like a classic (no pun intended) bubble to me - including the part where near the end, all the experts tell you there is nothing wrong at all!!

Bob

Bob,

I mentioned this but I felt what I said was not well received. `Last month my son bought a beautiful 1979 Alfa spider Kamm tail at

Brightwells classic auction. Auctioneer's estimate £10-12,000. Highest bid £8,200 ,well below reserve, but the owner was still prepared sell at that price. I think auctioneers are upping the estimates just to get cars through he door. On average card were selling at

15% below estimate.

Simon