TR Values - Don't shoot the messenger!

Lots of discussion around this when mine got a valuation of £40K>

This just appeared in my inbox and it makes interesting reading.

Enjoy!!

http://autojumble.world/triumph-tr-prices-boomed-past-15-years/

Best

Paul.

Edited by TR4A1965

Thanks Paul, very interesting.....

Keep up the good work, Ps. Spitfires Rule !!!!

Conrad.

Paul,

Some interesting anomaly prices in there, like the TR6 in 2007'ish for £35,000'ish.

In my limited experience, buying a TR, pouring money in like it is going out of fashion, and then getting back less than it cost you does not represent a good financial investment......

.....lots of fun though!

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Trend is interesting: price started soaring from 2010 which corresponds to the aftermath of the subprime crisis where people withdrew their soft assets and started investing in classics. 2007-2010 being the time span needed to restore the cars and put them back on the market all shiny so no wonder the price hikes.

BTW, hardly any TR4 above 30K, which also correspond to the entry level for TR5/250

Edited by Geko

To avoid the pain of offsetting cash paid against present value the boss and I adopt an abstract measure. Therefore, in the same vein as "number of London buses" or "the size of Wales", we use the "world cruise" unit.

its just like houses - cheap money pouring in to an asset that is perceived to be rare - when actually it isnt quite as rare as people are led to believe.....

Check out the antiques market and brown furniture at its peak and what ifs worth now....peanuts. Something that in the mid nieties cost £6000 is now worth £600. Fashion also plays a role but dont think just becuae they are worth a fortune now, they will be worth anything like as much in 10 years time. Complete madness - but, like houses, makes you feel smug if youve already got one!!

There will be plenty of people telling me that i'm wrong, and I may well be, but the same people believed antiques woudl contine to represent an excellent investment- dealers and auctioneers! I wonder why........

Bob

It's absolutely nothing to do with value, investment, houses, profit. It's enjoyment value pure and simple. People who only have money on their mind regarding TRs are undermining the true enthusiasts TR ownership.

Get out there and use the cars as they were supposed to be used.

It's absolutely nothing to do with value, investment, houses, profit. It's enjoyment value pure and simple. People who only have money on their mind regarding TRs are undermining the true enthusiasts TR ownership.

Get out there and use the cars as they were supposed to be used.

+1 alas I know of to many on here that do not do that,only one thing on there mind ( money)

+ 1 it is all about driving and tinkering with them for me. more interested in a car that goes than one that looks perfect. cant understand why people are scared of stone chips!!

unfortunately you cant stop idiots falling over themselves to buy non income producing, physically depreciating assets!!

bob

I do not know what point Paul is trying to prove. Is it that he thinks his 4a is worth £40K? It is only worth that if he totals it and the insurance company agree to pay £40K.

I doubt there is a 4a out there that would reach £30K at auction, not even the cream puffiest one. To sell to a dealer probably less, to sell privately extremely difficult unless you next door neighbour wants it. If he has bought as an investment I feel he will be disappointed for 2 reasons. One: if it is truly A1 100% he will be afraid to drive it in case the paint gets blemished. Two: prices are too high. TR's have been bought by people who were in their 20s in the 1960's and the 25% pension tax free dosh has driven up prices. All these owners are now in their late 60's or early 70's. There is going to be a shed load of the cars up for sale in the next 5 years unless Moss bring out a Zimmer frame rack for the boot. None of our sons are interested in inheriting them as they do not know a condenser from a cam shaft.

I went to a TR meet for the first time last month, Of the 8 or 9 who turned up only me and one other turned up in their TR's. It was a beautiful evening and a lovely drive. When quizzed all the rest said " the weather forecast said there may be rain" (there was not). It looks like 80% of TR owners own them not to drive but to polish them and try and drive prices up.

Have I got it wrong? I get the enjoyment out of my car from driving it, maintaining it and meeting like minded people. Why are some people so concerned about values?

I am afraid I will be selling mine soon (bought in 1975) so if anyone wants to give me anywhere near £25K I will bite their arm off. My son was not interested in "taking it over". He has just bought a beautiful 1979 Alfa spider for £9K in pristine condition and I have to say it knocks the spots off my TR for driving fun. Now you experts; which car is going to devalue? The Alfa's that the youngsters want to buy or the TR's that the oldies want to sell?

Simon

Hi

Im probably one of the younger TR owners - still in my forties, and probably part of the last generation to have the security of a decent pension and some property to fall back on in later life

I regard my car as a hobby and am just as happy tinkering with it as driving it. Most people spend money in pursuit of thier hobbies and I am prepared to spend a couple of thousand pounds a year on it for absoloutely no return or reason other than enjoyment of the "hobby"

You dont necesarily have to drive your TR at every opportunity to be a true enthusiast and achieve fullfilment of your hobby - each to thier own.

As pointed out above - im looking forward to having my pick of any number of beautifully restored and cared for TR's with which to adorn my garage - bought at rock bottom prices in 10 to 20 years time!

Regards

Stuart

Stuart, I hope you have as much fun as I have had driving, tinkering and learning basic mechanics. When I sell mine after 42 years of ownership it will have the scrapes and dings on it from 20/30 years ago, but it is an honest original panel car but will probably be hard to sell because it is not cream puff. I do not care. After it was stripped and resprayed and engine rebuilt in 1985 I can honestly say I do not think I have spent more than a few hundred pounds a year on it. Admittedly I have done very low miles in those years I am still running the Dunlop SP's that I bought in 1986 and there is no sign of any rubber deterioration!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

those tyres passed their sell-by date some 20 years ago, and by now must be bloody lethal - lack of grip, lack of braking, and ready to delaminate.

Any traffic copper worth his salt would throw the book at you, and rightly so . . . . . and a quartet of tyres that age is sufficient to bin your licence when it comes to court.

£200 will buy you a set of decent enough new 165x15s, for heaven's sake get on with it.

Cheers,

Alec

I recently sold a 4a that was north of £30k so they are fetching that....

No matter what your car is worth, get out and drive it!!

Tom

I do not know what point Paul is trying to prove. Is it that he thinks his 4a is worth £40K? It is only worth that if he totals it and the insurance company agree to pay £40K.

I doubt there is a 4a out there that would reach £30K at auction, not even the cream puffiest one. To sell to a dealer probably less, to sell privately extremely difficult unless you next door neighbour wants it. If he has bought as an investment I feel he will be disappointed for 2 reasons. One: if it is truly A1 100% he will be afraid to drive it in case the paint gets blemished. Two: prices are too high. TR's have been bought by people who were in their 20s in the 1960's and the 25% pension tax free dosh has driven up prices. All these owners are now in their late 60's or early 70's. There is going to be a shed load of the cars up for sale in the next 5 years unless Moss bring out a Zimmer frame rack for the boot. None of our sons are interested in inheriting them as they do not know a condenser from a cam shaft.

I went to a TR meet for the first time last month, Of the 8 or 9 who turned up only me and one other turned up in their TR's. It was a beautiful evening and a lovely drive. When quizzed all the rest said " the weather forecast said there may be rain" (there was not). It looks like 80% of TR owners own them not to drive but to polish them and try and drive prices up.

Have I got it wrong? I get the enjoyment out of my car from driving it, maintaining it and meeting like minded people. Why are some people so concerned about values?

I am afraid I will be selling mine soon (bought in 1975) so if anyone wants to give me anywhere near £25K I will bite their arm off. My son was not interested in "taking it over". He has just bought a beautiful 1979 Alfa spider for £9K in pristine condition and I have to say it knocks the spots off my TR for driving fun. Now you experts; which car is going to devalue? The Alfa's that the youngsters want to buy or the TR's that the oldies want to sell?

Simon

Pete/Alec

I truly believe my tyres are AOK. The treads are good and no sign of any cracking or deformation of the walls. I assure you there is no problem with grip or braking adhesion. I guess keeping the car in a heated aircraft hangar helps so the tyres have never experienced cold soak that is the cruellest treatment for rubber. . Pete, I will let you know if I ever come to Warwickshire so you can keep off the road

Pete/Alec

I truly believe my tyres are AOK. The treads are good and no sign of any cracking or deformation of the walls. I assure you there is no problem with grip or braking adhesion. I guess keeping the car in a heated aircraft hangar helps so the tyres have never experienced cold soak that is the cruellest treatment for rubber. . Pete, I will let you know if I ever come to Warwickshire so you can keep off the road

I hope you don't travel at speed on those tyres. :(

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mechanic-killed-by-car-he-treasured-988730

Cheers

Graeme

Well it's your life and your choice to go against a whole raft of advice to the contrary but spare a thought for the poor soul on the receiving end of your decision.

Pete/Alec

Cmon' you be delighted to spend £200 on some goodies for the TR, if you don't change the tyres now WHEN ? Do you hang on for another 20 years ? or do you take the risk and lay under the car with your wife screaming in terror trapped, because you don't have a roll cage fitted after a tyre blew and feeling the cold from petrol seeping through your trousers because you don't have a safety alloy rear firewall fitted in front of the fuel tank which has ruptured.

I urge you to at least take the decision to have these awful experiences yourself and avoid involving any innocent motorist unlucky enough to be near you. Please fit new tyres.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

post-11421-0-96236000-1497215190_thumb.jpgI knew it would cause a stir:-)

For the record.... My TR4A is part of our family...it was my wedding car..and my best mans 23 years later..and when it left my ownership I was devastated so to get it back was amazing - even if it was a basket case.

I used to drive the car everywhere. It was my daily driver.

Not so now.

After spending 3 years-ish rebuilding it, I do tend to treat it with care - every nut and bolt.

And.....I still drive it - every weekend or on classic events.

I was making no point by the post (Don't shoot the messenger:-). I was fascinated by the values of TRs as they are rising. Thank God!!! It is about time we caught up.

It should not come as a surprise to any of us really and I don't believe for most folk on this forum that it is about money.

Not for me anyway. The fact that I can drive the car that my girlfriend and I used to dart around in, got married in and still enjoy weekends away in is priceless.

Can you think of any other reason to restore a TR:-)))

I attach a picture of the 2 of us from last weekend at the London to Brighton Classic.....

On the tyre issue, before restoration, I drove the car on the tyres it had fitted and there was this hellish wobble on the steering wheel. It was a degraded tyre that had perished. I could not believe an old tyre could cause such an issue. Buy new tyres:-))

Best.

Paul.

OK guys you have convinced me, I will buy some new tyres. But something still does not add up. If old, but seemingly serviceable tyres are such a hazard why is it not an MOT failure? If what you say is correct the car is not roadworthy and should not receive an MOT.

Simon

Because until they fail you can't definitively say they are faulty, how lucky do you feel ?

The MOT is a basic safety check, your decision to replace aged tyres is a sound one, it puts the odds on your side...thank you.

Mick Richards

When i bought my current 6 it had lots of tread on the tyres....

20 year old rock hard tread !, in december with a 100 mile trip home which was 'interesting' on anything but dry flat tarmac.

Made it home and straight to the local tyre shop where 4 Vredestein tyres transformed the 'handling'

Steve