TR 6 Bonnet Problem

Hi,

In the slow process of restoring a TR6, a couple of years ago had the bonnet dipped and primed.

The car is now at the body shop and its been pointed out that there are several large indentations over the bonnet.

As it is only primed it is hard to see these with the eye, but when rubbing a hand over it they can be easily felt.

I wonder if the dipping has caused the problem as there is no sealant between the strengthening bars and the actual bonnet, leaving a gap, so the bars are not doing anything to the large bonnet area.

The body shop has been used by at least one member of this forum in the past.

They are reluctant to use filler on the bonnet due to the amount required and the heat from the engine.

In an attempt to avoid buying a very expensive new one does anybody have any ideas what could be done the existing.

Or does anybody have a v good second hand one for sale.

Many Thanks

Dave

Years ago I had an engine fire when the drain B pipe came off the Metering Unit!...It melted the sealant between the support bars as well burning a large area of the bonnets paint. The Bodyshop injected new sealant of some sort in the gaps.

It would not surprise me if the large shallow dished areas are there from the factory. Every TR3 bonnet that I have seen has them too. Not easy to see with the naked eye but they are very visible if you block sand guide coat off them.

Stan

I have actually drilled the spot welds out holding the bars and the removed them, straighten the main panel out and then bend the bars to the correct curve to support the panel and then welded them back in, that way you wont ned so much filler.

Find a good body shop. FWIW I suspect the dents have been from people sitting on the bonnet.

Stuart.

Do you mean just the two supports Stuart, or did you unpick the whole bonnet.

Most of the gaps between the two panels are quite tight apart from the offside bar at the front shown in pic.

Was hoping just to fill with appropriate filler, would I be best taking off and do as you suggest.

Mark

Edited by Mark69

attachicon.gif14968403905151837881890.jpg

Do you mean just the two supports Stuart, or did you unpick the whole bonnet.

Most of the gaps between the two panels are quite tight apart from the offside bar at the front shown in pic.

Was hoping just to fill with appropriate filler, would I be best taking off and do as you suggest.

Mark

I only take the two frame bars off, to unpick the whole frame is too much of a Ben Hur and would only make for far too much work. Its usually only one of the bars that needs doing funnily enough.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Having had a closer look it's the front inner panel thats causing the problem it doesn't quite sit properly on the outer panels . Causing the bar to be proud at the front. May well leave alone and fill the gaps with sealant.

Thanks Mark.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

After a lot of messing around I need a new bonnet.

Trouble is all the stockists I know are out of stock (TRGB, TRShop, Rimmer and Moss), awaiting delivery from Heritage mid September.

Really would like to get one before this.

Any ideas anybody please.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Roger,

The details are in my initial post above.

The body shop (done work for other TR register members) does not want to use filler on the bonnet due to heat and probable filler shrinkage problems.

Although the dents are shallow they are vast and lots of filler would be needed.

Dave

Hi Roger,

Thats what i thought too. But been up there a couple of times and chatted it over with them. Apparently if they do get them out there will still be a lot of filler required. Bit hard to explain the problem without seeing it.

Im certainly no expert but what he says seems to make sense, also getting a new one will cause the bodyshop problems as it will need to be there longer.

Would love to find a way round it as I think its an original bonnet.

Dave

TBH a good bodyshop should be able to sort it out, it may well want a skim of filler over a fair area but I have had to do that lots of times and never had a problem with heat or shrinkage but I dont use cheap filler like most run of the mill places do.The bonnet below had been stretched by blasters to the point where you could see the impression of the frame in the skin.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-03460000-1503051007_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-77804200-1503050836_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-85463100-1503051114_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info.

Where are TBH and what filler do you use.

Many Thanks

Dave

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info.

Where are TBH and what filler do you use.

Many Thanks

Dave

Sorry I use that abbreviation too much and forget that not everyone knows what it means (To be honest)

All above pictures are from my shop.

The filler I use is this http://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/product/upol/fillers/special-surface-repairs/u-pol-d-aluminium-reinforced-body-filler

Stuart.