Continental Touring Kit Triumph TR2/3

Main difference between TR2 and TR3 kits was H4 against H6 carbs.

The CTK came in at least 3 basic versions for sidescreen cars - TR2, TR3 drum brake, TR3/3A disc brake.

S-T dealers could sell or loan/rent the CTK . . . . I once had a 3/3A kit with a list on the inside of the lid, rather like a library book page, with detail of the dates, chassis number, and items used/replaced. This CTK had evidently been in use as a loan/rent item for several years.

I've only seen the TR2 and TR3 versions in a 'laundry box', whereas the 3/3A, 4 and 4A versions I've had were in cardboard boxes. Whether the box differed between sale and loan/rent versions I know not.

Cheers

Alec

The CTK came in at least 3 basic versions for sidescreen cars - TR2, TR3 drum brake, TR3/3A disc brake.

S-T dealers could sell or loan/rent the CTK . . . . I once had a 3/3A kit with a list on the inside of the lid, rather like a library book page, with detail of the dates, chassis number, and items used/replaced. This CTK had evidently been in use as a loan/rent item for several years.

I've only seen the TR2 and TR3 versions in a 'laundry box', whereas the 3/3A, 4 and 4A versions I've had were in cardboard boxes. Whether the box differed between sale and loan/rent versions I know not.

Cheers

Alec

The classic laundry box i showed is made of Some kind of re enforced cardboard. Its like its waxed. Thats what you mean For tr2 ?

Cheers

Alec

The classic laundry box i showed is made of Some kind of re enforced cardboard. Its like its waxed. Thats what you mean For tr2 ?

Probably not waxed, Edwin -- that's mainly done for rigid-when-wet properties, not dry strength. There would likely be concerns about transfer to the contents, too.

I'm guessing the laundry boxes are a form of pressboard, high-density paperboard used for covers and folders where stiffness, folding properties, and strength are required. Here's how one supplier talk about the product: http://www.fibermark.com/products/genuine-pressboard

(I've spent most of my life around the paper industry, and my university degree is in Paper Science and Engineering...)

The early CTK boxes that I've seen are of two types . . . . .

A 'laundry' type box, one piece with hinged lid and made from some sort of pressed paper board - and these I'm guessing might have been dealer loan or rental boxes.

A cardboard (as in corrugated) box, with separate lid, which I'd guess was the sale item ?

This latter style seems to have been the norm for later boxes.

Cheers,

Alec

"Cardboard" is a term not really used in the paper industry. It's pretty common elsewhere, though. We tend not to use it because it's not really specific enough. "Paperboard" refers to sheets that are heavier and thicker than paper, usually with the break around 250-300 micrometers thick. Paperboard can be multiwall corrugated board or solid paperboard. Solid paperboard is often made using a machine that builds up plies of wet pulp into a thicker sheet, which is then pressed and dried.

I'm guessing your laundry box is multi-ply solid paperboard. It might not be densified all the way to traditional file folder or cover pressboard, but it's probably not far from it.

Edited by Don H.

>(I've spent most of my life around the paper industry, and my university degree is in Paper Science and Engineering...)

Don, you sound more than qualified to develop a suitable repro CTK box. Paper board with pre-pressed edges ready to fold, shipped flat with rivets to assemble into a box and lid. Stick your choice of CTK labels on the lid. Tea cup stains cost extra.

Stan

How many do you think could be sold, Stan? A dozen or two? I'm guessing Edwin's redeployed laundry boxes are probably a better bet. Pre-patinated, too.

Few CTK boxes have survived, and for very good reasons - they were cheap and shoddy items, larger than they needed to be and hogging boot space as a result, whilst giving little protection to the enclosed spares.

Why on earth keep a cr*p product for half a century or more, and even less good reason to reproduce it. Some things are best forgotten.

Just go down the charity shop and find an old briefcase or somesuch for a fiver, that'll do nicely.

Cheers

Alec

For me the CTK is a novelty, a curiosity, a fun part of the TR history. It is interesting to see what Triumph thought would be useful spares to have when traveling far from home. Not very practical as it takes up a ton of room in an already full boot when you consider the sidescreen cars and not really necessary when you can get next day delivery of just about anything just about anywhere in an emergency and a flatbed home when a repair is just not practical.

Stan

Stan, exactly. It has nothing to do with practicality. But as I said before its a fun part of the hobby to collect, just like the ads, brochures etc.

If i wanted a practical car with less hobby, i would have a mx5 ;)

...or a Toyota pickup.

i-Zxk5wb2-L.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Bill Piggott has replied to my earlier posting about the box which I took to the Bring & Buy at the IWE some years ago:

I do recall the box for sale at IWE....can't now recall why I didn't buy it ! Can't really add to the Continental touring kit discussion...sorry. Seem to recall that Patrick van Houtven has/had a complete one he once showed me....Bill

Ian Cornish

Bill Piggott has replied to my earlier posting about the box which I took to the Bring & Buy at the IWE some years ago:

I do recall the box for sale at IWE....can't now recall why I didn't buy it ! Can't really add to the Continental touring kit discussion...sorry. Seem to recall that Patrick van Houtven has/had a complete one he once showed me....Bill[/size]

Ian Cornish[/size]

Thats interesting! Perhaps patrik still has one to show in some pictures.

I dont know him personally, anyone who could ask him?

Failing a clean shot of an original CTK and its contents, the next best thing would be a good picture of the label since that lists the contents and would give us a chance to reproduce it. What about the box label that Raymond had ?

Stan

Failing a clean shot of an original CTK and its contents, the next best thing would be a good picture of the label since that lists the contents and would give us a chance to reproduce it. What about the box label that Raymond had ?

Stan

I agreed when receiving it not to share it public and Will respect that. Perhaps theres another one who has a label?