Continental Touring Kit Triumph TR2/3

Wise ones,

apart from the regular maintenance of my tr2, the car itself is .. well.. done..

So, next to driving, joining events like the Jabbeke return of MVC575 with the tr2, i'm enjoying the hobby by finding some (not necessarily all options..) of the options and wannahaves of the car. I know, not important stuff, its just the fun of collecting (or hoarding..???)

i was able to find the complete tool kit, incl the early jacks, 2 original aeroscreens, the original fitted suitcase and some spare parts.

Now, i'd like to store my original spare parts in a box looking like (an original one would even be better !) a continental touring kit.

I have seen the one Raymond made:

22-Continental%20touring%20kit.jpg

Are there pictures of the original one ?

Does someone know of or has one ?

looking forward to hear from you !

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi Edwin

I cant help with your search but fully appreciate what you are trying to collect. Looking at your photograph the box appears to be well made and easy enough to reproduce given the right dimensions, could this, be the start of a cottage industry ? If so put me down for one.

At the moment I cant make up my mind between a convenient modern electric jack or finding an original through the floor type. To be truthful we must be mad touring in cars this old but there's certainly a buzz in doing it.

Good luck with your search

George

There have been some pix on the 'net of slightly later Leyland-era continental touring kits, Edwin. Here's an image from the TRR's 40th IWE. I don't have images of one from our sidescreen days.

i-cXWgbmL.jpg

Click on image to display full size for detail.

Edited by Don H.

From the September 1956 Standard Triumph accessories brochure.

i-bmdsq4g.jpg

i-CBrSB5R.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Bill P says:

Continental touring kit, part number 502022 (Later 505539).

This was a kit of commonly used spares, designed for journeys a long way from civilization. Included were the following: Fan belt, coil, valves, valve springs, bulbs, set of hoses, condenser, rotor arm, contact set and distributor cap, plus possibly more besides.

We did a pretty good job a few years ago reproducing the label from the TR6 continental spares kit. I bet Roger (Pogo) still has the project files. It would be great if we could do the same for the sidescreen kit.

Stan

Bill P says:

Continental touring kit, part number 502022 (Later 505539).

This was a kit of commonly used spares, designed for journeys a long way from civilization. Included were the following: Fan belt, coil, valves, valve springs, bulbs, set of hoses, condenser, rotor arm, contact set and distributor cap, plus possibly more besides.

We did a pretty good job a few years ago reproducing the label from the TR6 continental spares kit. I bet Roger (Pogo) still has the project files. It would be great if we could do the same for the sidescreen kit.

Stan

Agreed -- a sidescreen spares reproduction Continental touring kit could be good fun. That label seems like the kind of thing John Warfield would have in his collection, Stan. Have you ever spoken with him about it?

Agreed -- a sidescreen spares reproduction Continental touring kit could be good fun. That label seems like the kind of thing John Warfield would have in his collection, Stan. Have you ever spoken with him about it?

Have not spoken to John about the CTK's but here's what Roger H did for the TR6 carb CTK

TR6-CTK-Pogo_zps5wphnvjj.png

Edwin, I don't think the continental kit was available for the TR2. It's not listed on the earliest accessory brochures - but of course it would still be a neat item to have in the boot!

Dan

Edited by 2long

I do, I will . . .

Roger

Thanks all, nice to see there are more like me ;)

i do have the label in larger format thats on Raymonds box. Its listed as a tr3 emergency kit.

I will ask him if I could use it to reproduce the data on it. of course printing it on repro vintage paper for the right feeling.

For the box itself, what would be the dimensions?

if i look at Dons picture of the accessories brochure and compare the length of the upper radiator hose (the wrinkled one), which is about 12 cm (from memory) the box would be 36 cm in length, 24 cm width and 10 cm height ?

cardboard boxes are available new, but i was thinking of the classic laundry boxes, which are more sturdy and some even with a strap. If i'm informed correct the boxes were available at some kind of exchange base, like a rent/loaner box.

something like this:

21538.jpg

with a label printed on paper large enough to cover the laundry text it would be with the right patina.

now dont run off and buy all the laundry boxes :)

About a decade ago, my brother (who owned a TR3 in the 1960s) unearthed a really scruffy box which had some sort of Standard Triumph identity marking. I took it to the IWE to put on the Bring & Buy stall and the eagle-eyed Bill Piggott spotted it immediately, saying "that's the box for the Continental Touring Kit".

Someone must have bought it that day.

Ian Cornish

Edwin - no, it was of no interest to me and I was happy for it to go to the owner of a sidescreen car.

At a guess (it's a long while ago), about 24" wide x 9" deep x 9" front to back.

It had distorted somewhat (probably squashed while in Peter's garage) and might have been made of a material similar to that used for the duct which directs the air into the radiator. I think that the 'hinge' was metal, but not a proper hinge, just a bent piece of metal.

Perhaps Bill will spot this and comment further - I'll send him a message.

Ian Cornish

Hey George!

Tr´s were made for touring! I go from southern Spain to Switzerland nearly every year, even done Stelvio, Italy and CLM. If you rebuilt the car from the ground up, you must have confidence in your own skills.

As for the touring kit, I have mine stored in the spare wheel, but no valves and springs, if it gets that bad there recovery is he only option. I do have electronic ignition so all those dizzy parts are not needed, and an alternator so that simplifies that area.

Go for it TR man, maybe we will meet one day somewhere up north from here, especially if you go to Morges for the Swiss Classic British Car meeting on first Saturday in October where some 1500 cars met on the lake shore.

Dave

looking at the TR6 touring kit I wonder if BL also supplies a trailer to take along all these parts... :)

These boxes are very nice collector's items... must say my TR's never broke down in over 50 years, except once , reason a .. NEW .. dizzy rotor, fortunately I was able to replaced it by the old one.. :huh:

Edwin, I don't think the continental kit was available for the TR2. It's not listed on the earliest accessory brochures - but of course it would still be a neat item to have in the boot!

Dan

From the 1956 accessory brochure that Don posted, 502022 was "Suitable for the TR sports models". Since this is just a year after the TR2 production ceased I would consider this accessory to include the TR2 as well as the new TR3.

Stan

Thanks all, nice to see there are more like me ;)

i do have the label in larger format thats on Raymonds box. Its listed as a tr3 emergency kit.

I will ask him if I could use it to reproduce the data on it. of course printing it on repro vintage paper for the right feeling.

For the box itself, what would be the dimensions?

if i look at Dons picture of the accessories brochure and compare the length of the upper radiator hose (the wrinkled one), which is about 12 cm (from memory) the box would be 36 cm in length, 24 cm width and 10 cm height ?

cardboard boxes are available new, but i was thinking of the classic laundry boxes, which are more sturdy and some even with a strap. If i'm informed correct the boxes were available at some kind of exchange base, like a rent/loaner box.

something like this:

21538.jpg

with a label printed on paper large enough to cover the laundry text it would be with the right patina.

now dont run off and buy all the laundry boxes :)

We don't have those boxes over here, Edwin, but it looks just about perfect for the task. Save me one...

Hi Dave

I could not agree more, my TR3 is a recent acquisition and a long way from good condition, although it is getting there. I have only used it locally so far as its a sort of rolling restoration.

On the other hand my carburetored TR6 has over the years seen most of Europe, this year we were planning on Scandinavia but other things got in the way so it will now be next year.

I am a member of the Cambridgeshire group and for the last few years we have had a continental spring road trip which is great fun, this year it was Holland next year who knows but what is encouraging is the 1st year we were 4 cars last year it was 5 and the Dutch trip was 7. Although our numbers seem insignificant when compared to the TR Group Noord-Holland who followed us back to the UK a day after our return with 19 cars

Morges looks good hopefully I will see you there one year

George

Note that Paul's brochure shows two different part numbers for TR2 and TR3 CTKs.

yes what would be the difference between the 2 kits? which part differs between the 2 cars ?

Manifold gasket? T-stat housing gasket?